For those who dream of advancing our space in the Universe and on Earth, we’ll take you there.
Serving the world from our Canadian home and our global offices, MDA is an international space mission partner and robotics & space operations, satellite systems and geointelligence pioneer with a 50-year story of firsts on and above the Earth. Today, we're leading the charge towards viable Moon colonies, enhanced Earth observation, communication in a hyper-connected world, and more.
We’re fueled by a pioneering spirit that carries us beyond. And together we enable highly skilled people to continually push boundaries and tackle big challenges requiring solutions that endure and inspire.
Are you ready to launch the next stage of your career in the new space economy? We would love to hear from you!
We’re on the hunt for a Mechanical Engineering candidate
on our Robotics & Space Operations
team at our Kanata
With 40 years of operational experience and proven performance on the iconic Canadarm programs including Space Shuttle and International Space Station robotics and operations support, our Robotics & Space Operations team has 100% mission success in making space dreams come true.
As part of the Opto-Mechanical Team, you will define components of mechanical assemblies to ensure that the final product products meets or exceeds the customer’s requirements and ensure that the mechanical solutions are reliable, cost-effective and meet product functional requirements.
As one of our Mechanical Engineers you will use a series of advanced software tools for 3D design and simulation to predict product behavior in space. The Intermediate Mechanical Engineer has a thorough understanding of packaging techniques, heat transfer and thermal management, structural mechanics and dynamics and hardware design and fabrication techniques. In addition, you will be responsible for Bills of Material, Mass Budgets and providing support to manufacturing and mechanical testing activities.
- Support all mechanical engineering activities related to on-going programs or new programs that require mechanical engineering expertise
- Apply engineering principles to solve complex technical challenges
- Design opto-mechanical systems to comply with mission requirements using CAD tools
- Prepare part drawings, assembly drawings and Bills of Material (BoM) for manufacture and assembly.
- Evaluate opto-mechanical system performances at both the component and system levels via modeling and experimental methods
- Perform mechanical analyses (structural, thermal) using classical hand calculations and finite element analysis
- Prepare test procedures
- Conduct tests and support testing activities (vibration, shock, thermal, TVAC, etc.)
- Prepare technical reports (analysis, technical memos, test reports etc.)
- Monitor and support operations of component suppliers
- Support integration and testing (during the design and manufacturing phases)
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent education
- Experience with optics will be an asset
- CAD expertise and experience in SolidWorks and/or NX will be an asset
- Demonstrated experience with thermal and structural analysis tools, specifically Ansys, and/or NASTRAN will be an asset
We’re a team of purpose-driven, collaborative and passionate people, and we are constantly looking for others to join #TeamMDA to ignite new and innovative approaches to problem-solving that push us forward to improve life on and above Earth. If you’re excited to expand our place in space and driven to inspire the next generation, we’ll take you there.
We have entered a new era of exploration and development, and MDA welcomes all who yearn to suit up and be part of it. An equal opportunity employer prizing diversity, integrity and collaboration, we are committed to growing MDA’s and Canada’s leadership in this next golden age.
Successful candidates must obtain and hold security clearance at the reliability status level, and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program (CGP) and ITAR.
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at all locations. As a team member of MDA, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection through competitive health care including; extended healthcare and flexible drug plans, dental and vision benefits, disability income protection, life insurance, group retirement savings plans; and an employee and family assistance program.
Equal Opportunity Statement
MDA is an equal opportunity employer prizing diversity and inclusion. We are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity. If you require assistance and/or reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please feel free to notify us.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: Strengthening our workforce is more important than ever to meet our customers’ mission-critical needs. We are continuing to hire many talented people, and we are closely monitoring COVID-19 to ensure safe hiring practices are used. This includes limiting onsite candidate interviews and prioritizing video interviews.