Intuitive Machines is seeking a mid-to-senior-level Robotic Systems Engineer
to join our team. This position will be located on-site at the IM Mechanisms Annex in Hanover, Maryland
.U.S. Citizenship Required
The Engineer will work in a cross-functional team on the design, development, manufacture and test of space flight and ground support robotic tools, robotic manipulators, end effectors and integrated systems.
The focus of this role is on the development of the robotic system that will be used during capture of the material container upon launch from the surface and transfer of the container to the Earth Entry Vehicle.
- The role will support both an in-space key technology demonstration and a full collection and return demonstration.
Additionally, the engineer may assist in the development of a variety of articulation and deployment mechanisms associated with Intuitive Machines’ Nova series lunar landers and their associated payload elements.Experience with robotic manipulators and robotic control systems
, and more specifically autonomous and semi-autonomous rendezvous, proximity operations and docking, as well as compliance control, is highly desired for this position.
The role will involve a combination of hands-on setup and driving of robotic manipulators and testbeds as well as development of control systems, algorithms, and user interfacesResponsibilities
- Own the design and development of robotic systems associated with IM’s lunar material return missions, as well as for Nova landers and their payloads
- Assist in the development of Concept of Operations (ConOps) for EEV-Demo and LMR-1 missions, focusing on Rendezvous & Proximity Operations surrounding autonomous capture of the Material Return Container by the Orbital Capture Mechanism
- Perform trade studies to define performance parameters for robotic manipulators, force/torque sensors, compliance control schemes, drive electronics, vision systems & fiducials, range & pose estimation techniques
- Perform make/buy decisions relating to key robotic subsystem elements
- Stand up a robotic testbed including a manipulator and operator console
- Select and implement vision tracking system(s) for arm and test article motion analysis
- Select and integrate an autonomous capture sensor package, and integrate control algorithms to demonstrate capture of a target on an air bearing table
- Assist in the development of the Orbital Capture Mechanism End Effector and any Robotic Tools associated with capture and transfer of the Material Return Container
- Assist in the development of the Material Return Container to include fiducials, grapple and handling interfaces
- Assist in design studies to finalize the means for transfer, installation, latching and closeout of the Material Return Container to the Earth Entry Vehicle
- Devise additional test programs to demonstrate key mission activities
- Identify key technical risks/gaps and rapidly prototype and evaluate hardware to drive risks to closure
- Assist in the design and implementation of integrated subsystem performance tests
- Perform procedure development tests and activity runs in order to develop flight robotic operational procedures
A candidate for this position will be encouraged to take on as much responsibility as practical and will be expected to play a role in the entire cradle-to-grave product development process, including requirements development, conceptualization, CAD design, drafting, supplier relationships, procurement and fabrication management, procedure development, contamination control, and hands-on assembly and testing.Required Education/Experience/Skills
- B.S degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or related discipline and minimum of 7 years of experience with a competency in moving mechanisms and electro mechanical systems; or M.S. degree or higher in related discipline and a minimum of 5 years of experience in mechanisms engineering
- Familiarity with performance requirements development for mechanical and electromechanical systems
- Experience in integration and use of robotic control systems such as visual servo and compliance control, especially for space flight
- Experience in devising and performing validation tests of autonomous, semi-autonomous and tele-operated robotic systems, especially for space flight
- Familiarity with robotic control frameworks such as ROS
- Experience with Atlassian suite (e.g. Confluence, Jira)
- Effective verbal and written communication
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- Excellent organizational skills
- Creative approach to problem solving
- Embraces Intuitive Machines core values: Respect, Integrity, Dedication, and Excellence
- Ability and willingness to work under compressed and aggressive delivery schedules
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Intuitive Machines is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. However, due to restrictions imposed through contracts supporting the U.S. Government, some positions require U.S. citizenship. Candidates for certain positions may be required to obtain a U.S. government security clearance.