Your Mission at Virgin Galactic
The Sr. Engineering Manager, Propulsion Engineering has experience in the development of hybrid propulsion systems to lead a team of design and performance engineers. Significant experience with liquid or solid propulsion systems would also be considered. Ideal candidates would have experience working from high level system requirements to develop propulsion system designs throughout the entire development, qualification, and operational process. In addition, experience with flight hardware, component qualification/substantiation, motor fabrication and casting, material testing, rocket motor qualification and acceptance testing is a plus. Candidate will also be comfortable working in a hands on environment, and must have a strong sense of accountability.
Required Skills And Experience
- Lead a team of engineers and technical team-members
- Mentor and develop team-members under your management in technical, communication, and professional skills
- Support teams and team-members in other departments as part of a cross-functional, cooperative workforce
- Develop the next generation of hybrid rocket propulsion systems for SpaceShipTwo and beyond
- Become the technical authority on a team of engineers to guide the propulsion system development to meet vehicle performance requirements
- Help architect the propulsion system details including rocket motor design, propellant feed systems, and required propulsion subsystems and components
- Direct the detailed development of hybrid motor design including performance modeling, internal ballistics, material selections, as well as supporting design for manufacturing.
Preferred Skills And Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited institution, with a minimum of 10+ years relevant industry experience
- Experience leading and developing a diverse, cross-functional team in a technical environment
- Experience with aerospace design, preferably of hybrid rockets or liquid rocket engines
- Sufficient understanding of fluid dynamics and combustion device design
- Experience with aerospace testing and qualification, with a preference for experience in propulsion systems and components
- Demonstrated ability to manage the technical risk of complex propulsion systems development with good planning and innovation
- Experience working in an Integrated Product Team environment
- Experience iterating on propulsion system design based on test results
- Experience with CATIA V5 and/or Solidworks
- Experience with the design of flight vehicles or vehicle systems to a set of requirements or standards such as CFR 14, Part 400, Part 23 and 25, military or NASA is desirable
- Excellent organizational, communication and problem solving skills
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and Powerpoint
The annual U.S. base salary range for this full-time position is $118,800.00–$181,200.00. The base pay actually offered will vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, location, and experience and take into account internal equity. Other forms of pay (e.g., bonus or long term incentive) may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and other benefits, dependent on the position offered. For more information regarding Virgin Galactic benefits, please visit https://vgcareers.virgingalactic.com/global/en/benefitsWho We Are
Virgin Galactic is transforming humanity’s relationship with space. By making it more open and accessible, we are connecting the world to the love, wonder and awe inspired by space travel, helping to create new opportunities for the benefit of life on Earth. Whether it’s supporting cutting-edge research missions for scientists and students, or offering life-changing experiences for the adventurers among us, Virgin Galactic is THE spaceline for Earth. Such an audacious vision requires a team as driven as they are curious - one capable of redefining the boundaries of what’s possible.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR
- 120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. teammates, as well as newly hired employees. As of October 1, 2021, all new hires must be able to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, (“fully vaccinated” means at least two weeks have expired since receiving the vaccination’s last dose as recommended by the manufacturer) or have a valid religious or medical exemption. If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met before your date of hire. Virgin Galactic complies with federal, state, and local laws with regard to accommodations related to this policy.