The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The National Systems Group serves as the technical advisor to the Intelligence Community and its mission partners involved in the collection and distribution of national and tactical intelligence, including electronics programs, advanced technologies, ground and communications, imagery programs, and systems engineering and launch.
We are looking for a Senior Project Engineer to develop new DoD capabilities enabling new techniques, tactics, and procedures (TTP's) which confound our adversaries, react to new threats at mission speed, and protect our advantage on the battlefield and beyond. To realize this mission, you’ll apply the full suite of Aerospace's strategic, technical, and laboratory capabilities.
This position requires 100% on site work in Chantilly, VA
What You’ll Be Doing
- Act as the principal technical representative, developing innovative technical concepts and applications to ensure enterprise capabilities successfully meet strategic and tactical level needs
- Evaluate and advise on the applicability of emerging technology to solve warfighter/user requirements
- Establish and foster connections with industry, DoD and IC research labs, programs offices and S&T SMEs to conduct advanced development and prototyping
- Cooperate and communicate frequently with FFRDC, SETA, mid-level, and senior government officials to coordinate and report progress, issues, and results
- Serve as the integration leader and/or coordinator of a team of technical contributors, which may include senior level technical specialists.
What You Need to be Successful
- Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, or other technical discipline
- An understanding of Department of Defense (DoD) weapon systems, their operational interfaces and architecture
- R&D experience developing new or improved products derived from overhead systems
- Willing to travel domestically approx. 5%
- This position requires a current and active TS/SCI security clearance and polygraph, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- Technical experience informing CONOPs development and diverse system integration activities
- Typically, 12 years of relevant experience in engineering, physics, mathematics, or another technical discipline
- Experience delivering DoD weapons systems and engineering activities to include working directly with Government Program Management Administration (PMA) offices
- Experience working programs with multiple FFRDC’s and industry partners
- Experience leading diverse teams of technical talent
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.