Do you enjoy developing new products and services? Join us! Our Software Engineers work in an agile, collective environment. You will be using your skills and expertise to define, design, develop, test, certify and improve cutting-edge software products. Applications include ISS biological and logistics payloads as well as environmental and thermal control for spacecraft and space-based habitats. You'll perform coding, debugging, testing, and troubleshooting of systems and software throughout our development process. Your technical duties involve the design and development of new software products throughout the product lifecycle.
Sierra Space, based in Louisville, Colorado with operations in Madison, Wisconsin, Durham, North Carolina, and Kennedy Space Center, Florida, designs and manufactures advanced spacecraft, satellites, propulsion and environmental systems, spacecraft subsystems and components for the U.S. government (including NASA), commercial customers and international organizations. Learn more about Sierra SpaceJob Description
The software engineer participates in the design, development and testing of software to support ongoing and future projects. The individual must have a strong working knowledge of the C and C++ languages, object-oriented design and must have a strong background in deploying and testing code on embedded processors. The ideal candidate will have recent experience developing software GUI or command line applications for Linux/VxWorks/MS-Windows.
The software engineer will be required to write software for data acquisition and control hardware at a low level and requires knowledge and experience with common testing and debugging tools such as a digital voltmeter and an oscilloscope.
This position continually requires determining what needs to be learned to complete a task, how it will be learned (usually reading) and then learning the information. A significant part of the job involves reading requirements specifications, interface definition documents and product manuals.
Proper documentation of developed software, including source code module internal documentation and the creation of software design description documents, is required and reviewed.
Projects require adherence to one or more coding standards. Must-haves:
- Bachelor's of Science degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or other related discipline and typically 0-2 years of relevant experience
- Related experience may be considered in lieu of required education
- Some experience designing and developing software for embedded systems
- Ability to work with minimal supervision on projects involving both small and large engineering teams
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative, fast-paced environment with emphasis on rapid prototyping and production of hardware
- Familiar with data structures and algorithms
- Experience in object-oriented design and RTOS
- Tools expertise: C, C++ and Git
- Understanding of software languages such as C, C#, C++, Java, Python, and Bash
- Experience with software tools for requirements tracking, code reviews, static analysis, library and artifact repository, and automated build
- Knowledge of software development methodologies such as Agile/Scrum, Waterfall, and Spiral
- Experience in Qt, LabWindows/CVI or other IDE for writing GUI application
- Experience in designing and testing PID control software
- Experience in designing bare-metal real-time embedded applications or in RTOS
- Experience in designing client/server network communications software
- Experience developing software for MS-Windows/Linux/VxWorks
- Experience working with a coding standard
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Security Clearance may be required Learn more about the background check process for Security Clearances
To conform to U.S. Government international trade regulations, applicant must be a U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State or U.S. Department of Commerce.
With 30+ years of proven spaceflight heritage, Sierra Space has provided more than 4,000 space systems, subsystems and components to customers worldwide, and participated in more than 500 missions to space, including to Mars. The company has technology in production and in development to enable space habitats for short- and long-duration space travel, a fleet of Dream Chaser spaceplanes, and the first free-flying commercial space station. Please visit www.sierraspace.com to learn more about Sierra Space, its business areas, capabilities, programs, products and services.
Salary range $72,059.06 -$99,081.20
- Frequently walk, sit, stand, climb stairs and steps
- Frequently repeat same hand, arm, and finger motion many times to include finger and hand dexterity
- Rarely lifting or carrying up to 20 lbs.
- Rarely exposed to outdoor elements (high/low temperatures, sun, rain/snow, etc.)
- Rarely exposed to fumes or hazardous chemicals/materials
- Rarely exposed to loud noises
Sierra Space offers a generous benefit package, including medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k) with 150% match up to 8%, life insurance, 3 weeks paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and more.
At Sierra Space, our mission is to dream, innovate, inspire and empower the next generation to transform humanity through technology and imagination. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome our employees to bring their whole selves to their work. Sierra Space is committed to fostering an inclusive, accepting, and diverse environment free of discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Contributions to Sierra Space come in many shapes and styles, and we believe diversity in our workforce fosters new and greater ways to dream, innovate, and inspire.