At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dream ers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth. At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination.
Search all of our job openings on our career portal .Position Summary
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a Flight Hardware Engineer
to join the Launch Operations team. If you join us in this position, you will work on processing flight hardware for final rocket integration & launch at spaceport facilities. You will collaborate with other integration engineers, launch operations, and engineering as part of the Flight and Launch team
to streamline the handling and installation of flight hardware prior to launch. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills.
This is a full-time
position based out of our rocket test site in Mojave, California
, with regular travel to our rocket factory in Long Beach and other Spaceports around the world.Your Part Of The Mission
- Author work instructions to build integrated assemblies while considering safety, quality, efficiency, and manufacturability.
- Manage corrective actions from working nonconformances. Find the root cause and prevent these problems on future builds.
- Perform hands-on engineering and liaison role between engineering, launch operations, and the production organization to ensure hardware modifications are implemented.
- Coordinate movement and staging of flight hardware, including the launch vehicle, in the field.
- Work with supply chain to ensure flight hardware is procured on time to support field operations and design updates.
- Identify, plan, and implement solutions (capital equipment, tooling, layout and build flow upgrades, etc.) to improve flight hardware processing and reach company goals.
- Provide technical direction to design teams (eBOM configuration, drawing updates, etc.), upstream production teams (priorities, assembly techniques, etc.), and launch operations (operation flow, test objectives, etc.) as necessary to reach company goals.
- Assist with transitioning launch activities from a development cadence to a high-rate, rapid-response operation.
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place.
- Bachelor’s Degree in “STEM” (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math).
- 2+ years of experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience authoring work instructions and/or test procedures to build and test structural, electrical and/or propulsion assemblies.
- Experience interfacing with design, manufacturing, systems engineering and production personnel.
- Experience leading integration operations including assembly, critical lifting, major assembly mates, end-to-end integrated verification testing operations, etc.
- L eadership experience as an interdisciplinary project or product manager.
- Capacity and rate planning experience for manual work centers, capital equipment, GSE/eGSE.
- Experience with ERP and MES.
- Experience troubleshooting anomalies and determining path to resolution
- Experience operating on console and performing real-time evaluation
- Experience working in development and/or volume production assembly environments.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills. This role is highly interdisciplinary so will require sharp people skills.
- Knowledge of two or more of the following: mechanical processes (precision drilling, heat treating, anodizing, machining, and fastening), composite material processes (trim, bonding, RTV, cork application), fluid systems (cryogenic, RP-1, gaseous Helium and Nitrogen, Process and Instrumentation Diagrams), avionics systems (instrumentation, harness integration, electrical connector mating), in addition to testing processes for each discipline.
- Considerable knowledge in lean manufacturing and its application to low mix- medium-volume production.
- Experience developing tools to work safely and efficiently in time-sensitive operations.
- Experience developing automation and/or user interfaces for test execution.
- Experience operating pressurized gas systems and/or electrical testing is a plus.
- Experience with Siemens NX/TeamCenter, Oracle and Solumina is a plus.
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space.
- Passion to own every aspect of our flight hardware.
- Demonstrated ability to perform effectively in a high-stress, ever-changing environment.
- Willingness to stand up against the crowd when you feel it is required.
- Rigorous attention to detail.
- Creativity in problem-solving.
- Confidence, but not stubbornness.
- Continual drive for perfection, “good enough” is not good enough.
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime as well as weekends when needed.
- Willing to travel (up to 20% of time) and be exposed to work in outdoor launch pad environments around the world.
- Must be able to provide proof of US-approved Covid-19 full vaccination status, unless otherwise exempted by an approved reasonable medical or religious accommodation from Virgin Orbit.
$85,000 - $115,000 Total Rewards at Virgin Orbit
At Virgin Orbit, we are STRAIGHT UP, which means we encourage honest and transparent communication. Our goal is to help you interpret the pay range you see and understand that compensation is much more than simply base pay. Individual compensation packages are based on candidate-unique attributes, including, but not limited to, skills, experience, qualifications, and other job-related factors. Cash compensation is only part of the total reward package, and the range reflects a strong market-based salary. Some jobs may also be eligible for bonus, overtime pay, weekend work compensation and differentials. In addition to cash compensation, all Virgin Orbit teammates are eligible for equity which includes stock options and/or RSUs (Restricted Stock Units) and an Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).At Virgin Orbit We Offer Some Of The Best Around
At Virgin Orbit, you work alongside some of the best and brightest, on the coolest premier dedicated small satellite launch service. We also know that benefits and belonging are an important piece of your total rewards package.
- Robust time off with holiday shut down between Christmas and New Year
- Better than market 401k including a Safe Harbor plan
- Superior health and welfare benefits offering an average 90% of benefits premiums paid, including some plans with zero employee contributions
- Financial wellness through Northstar which includes your personal financial advisor
- Paid parental leave
- Tuition reimbursement
- A variety of optional benefits such as pet insurance and discounts, and remote and/or hybrid opportunity for some positions
- Health Reimbursement program providing up to $3,000 max per year for eligible teammates
- Employee Resource Groups, Virgin cultural gatherings and success celebrations, professional growth opportunities, and more!
At Virgin Orbit, pay and total rewards is about offering competitive programs for any stage of your life and career. We constantly look for opportunities to enhance our programs and reward our teammates and we update our benefits offerings regularly.Other Requirements
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR
- 120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. Stay in touch with the latest news and updates from Virgin Orbit by following us on:
YouTube Twitter Instagram Facebook LinkedIn
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.