Long Beach, CABonus
Full-TimeWho We Are
At Virgin Orbit, we are launching the small satellite revolution, enabling missions that were previously unimaginable. We are delivering Virgin’s legendary customer experience by combining advanced technology with a diligent, hard-working team. We have built a workplace and a workforce of the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today are launching the industries of tomorrow. We have engaged a diverse and inclusive community of doers and dreamers alike, empowering all those working today to build satellites and constellations that will change the world.
At Virgin Orbit, we are opening space for good. Search all of our job openings on our career portal .
Lead Propulsion Engineer – Combustion Devices (Chambers)
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a Lead Chambers Engineer to drive continual excellence into our rocket engine combustion devices and our team.
If you join us in this position, you will ensure technical and programmatic excellence with a team of engineers. You will solve tough problems from concept to flight across both the 1 st and 2 nd stage engines of LauncherOne, and you will enable future capabilities. You will team with Engine Managers and our Advanced Manufacturing team to make things happen and keep newer and better hardware continually flowing into test stands and flight.
This role is for a hands-on leader with meticulous attention to detail and excellent people skills. We want that rare breed who can step back and see the big picture, then tunnel into the deepest nuance with the team and execute. The candidate must be excited about mentoring and training. The ideal candidate would demonstrate prior experience in mechanical design, fluid/thermal analysis, manufacturing development, and test or flight support.
This is a full-time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California. Your Mission
What You Bring
- Provide technical and programmatic leadership across the full product lifecycle of rocket engine combustion devices – requirements and concepts to flight data review
- Coordinate the development of new combustion chamber upgrades and supporting components; track program cost, schedule, and technical requirements; guide technical decisions; maintain and foster relationships with key vendors and partners
- Build subsystem-level development and acceptance test plans, review engine development and operational plans. Enable an ever-increasing launch cadence through design for rate
- Adapt to and guide team through shifting priorities in a fast-paced and dynamic program
- Provide organizational focus both to sustaining engineering and new development efforts of rocket engine combustion chambers
- Ensure technical rigor always and enable the technical maturation of new propulsion designs across the launch vehicle—faster than ever
- Take ownership in product deliverables and meet commitments to maintain critical program schedules
- Establish analytical methods and tools with greater capability and automation
- Motivate a diverse team to take pride in hard work done well
- Get the job done – fly increasingly capable designs
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members
- Perform other duties assigned
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too.
- Bach elor’s Degree in Engineering required
- 5+ years of experience and demonstrated success in elements of combustion devices design and operation
- Capable of solving complex problems with little to no supervision on schedule as an individual or as leader of an integrated team
- Understanding of the design elements of combustion chambers, flow conditioning elements, manifolds, and mechanical seals
- Ability to review low speed and high speed combustion data to verify requirements, decipher trends, anticipate issues, and identify opportunities for improvement
- Rigorous attention to detail
- Strong work ethic and a self-starter
- Must be a U.S. person as defined by the ITAR (22 CFR
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space
- Ability and desire to perform in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Self-driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement, inter-team communication skills, and attention to detail
- Must be able to provide proof of US-approved Covid-19 full vaccination status, unless otherwise exempted by an approved reasonable medical or religious accommodation from Virgin Orbit
- Familiarity with all or some of the following software packages: Teamcenter, NX, ANSYS, Matlab, SINDA/FLUINT
- Experience in low cost commercial space system ventures desired
- Experience and comfort in both development and production manufacturing environment desired
- Experience in rocket engine test and flight operations desired
- Ability to thrive as a ‘one person team’
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team
- Generally a high level of all-around awesomeness
$130,000 - $160,000 Total Rewards at Virgin Orbit
At Virgin Orbit, we are STRAIGHT UP, which means we encourage honest and transparent communication. Our goal is to help you interpret the pay range you see and understand that compensation is much more than simply base pay. Individual compensation packages are based on candidate-unique attributes, including, but not limited to, skills, experience, qualifications, and other job-related factors. Cash compensation is only part of the total reward package, and the range reflects a strong market-based salary. Some jobs may also be eligible for bonus, overtime pay, weekend work compensation and differentials. In addition to cash compensation, all Virgin Orbit teammates are eligible for equity which includes stock options and/or RSUs (Restricted Stock Units) and an Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).At Virgin Orbit We Offer Some Of The Best Around
At Virgin Orbit, you work alongside some of the best and brightest, on the coolest premier dedicated small satellite launch service. We also know that benefits and belonging are an important piece of your total rewards package.
- Robust time off with holiday shut down between Christmas and New Year
- Better than market 401k including a Safe Harbor plan
- Superior health and welfare benefits offering an average 90% of benefits premiums paid, including some plans with zero employee contributions
- Financial wellness through Northstar which includes your personal financial advisor
- Paid parental leave
- Tuition reimbursement
- A variety of optional benefits such as pet insurance and discounts, and remote and/or hybrid opportunity for some positions
- Health Reimbursement program providing up to $3,000 max per year for eligible teammates
- Employee Resource Groups, Virgin cultural gatherings and success celebrations, professional growth opportunities, and more!
At Virgin Orbit, pay and total rewards is about offering competitive programs for any stage of your life and career. We constantly look for opportunities to enhance our programs and reward our teammates and we update our benefits offerings regularly.Other Requirements
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR
- 120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. Stay in touch with the latest news and updates from Virgin Orbit by following us on:
YouTube Twitter Instagram Facebook LinkedIn
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.