SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.SR. DSP ENGINEER (STARLINK)
Starlink is SpaceX's ambitious program aimed at bringing broadband connectivity to the globe by building a constellation of thousands of satellites in low earth orbit (LEO). Starlink delivers high-speed, low-latency internet to locations where access has been unreliable, expensive, or completely unavailable. We are developing millions of devices for end users in order to link our customers to our satellites. As a member of our Wireless Network Engineering group, you will have the unique opportunity to design system algorithms and silicon solutions that are at the heart of the Starlink network. In this critical role, as a DSP Communication Systems Engineer, you will be collaborating with silicon, antenna, software, and other engineering teams to deliver cutting-edge solutions that will take Starlink to the next level.RESPONSIBILITIES:
- System-level and link-level design in support of a robust satellite broadband communication system
- Work in close collaboration with ASIC/FPGA, RF/antenna, and software engineers to design and validate silicon-based systems
- Develop floating-point and fixed-point models and run simulations to analyze and validate overall system performance, including modem performance
- Support IC designers with bit-accurate and cycle-accurate vector generation for silicon verification
- Generate spacecraft and consumer equipment system specifications, requirements, and test procedures
- Support silicon bring up and validation by developing and implementing system test plans
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, physics, computer engineering or electrical engineering
- 5+ years of experience in system-level modeling and/or digital signal processing
- Master's degree in electrical engineering with emphasis in communication systems and/or digital signal processing
- 5+ years of professional experience in system-level modeling
- 5+ years of professional experience in working on aspects of multiple access schemes such as TDMA, CDMA and OFDMA
- 5+ years of professional experience in design and verification of high data rate wireless modems
- Expertise in MATLAB, C/C++, and/or Python
- Expertise in wireless communication standards, such as LTE, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.
- Expertise in designing and implementing system-level procedures and algorithms
- Expertise in building and using system-level simulators and performance analysis
- Expertise in various multiple access schemes including downlink and uplink scheduler designs and tradeoffs
- Understanding of system link budgets and analysis related to communication systems
- Understanding of modem designs, link-level algorithms and hardware architectures
- Understanding of ASIC and FPGA development concepts, methodologies, and procedures
- Experience working in the lab and using lab equipment
- Experience in Git version control system
- Experience in Atlassian collaboration and automation tools: JIRA, Confluence, Bitbucket, Bamboo, etc.
- Strong interpersonal/written/verbal communication skills and experience with cross-functional collaboration
- Strong teamwork skills combined with ability to work autonomously as an individual contributor
- High level of self-motivation and desire to be challenged and learn new skills
- Strong problem solving skills with high attention to detail
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with changing needs and requirements
- Ability to meet tough goals under high pressure and manage time effectively
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Extended hours and weekend work may be required to support critical project and mission milestones
DSP Systems Engineer/Senior: $160,000.00 - $220,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.ITAR REQUIREMENTS:
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.