The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The National Systems Group serves as the technical advisor to the Intelligence Community and its mission partners involved in the collection and distribution of national and tactical intelligence, including electronics programs, advanced technologies, ground and communications, imagery programs, and systems engineering and launch.
Electronic Programs Division’s Directorate H is looking for a Systems Director to lead Aerospace’s support to the Systems Engineering and Integration Division (SE&I) of a government program office engaged in multiple SIGINT major systems acquisitions. As the SE&I Systems Director, you will lead a diverse team providing deep technical expertise and critical recommendations to the Government for all program systems engineering activities, including system definition, on-orbit operations and maintenance, flight operations, enterprise integration, test, verification, launch, activation, and the development of cutting-edge mission enhancements.
This position requires 100% on site work in Chantilly, VA.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Serve as the lead technical advisor to senior government leadership for systems engineering and integration activities for existing and emerging SIGINT space and ground acquisitions
- Scope, direct, and execute Aerospace analyses for R&D, requirements development, acquisition, operations and specialty engineering tasks using core staff and matrixed engineering capabilities across a broad range of technical disciplines. Establish organization’s objectives and goals and communicate them to customers, subordinates, management, and interfacing matrix organizations as appropriate. Conduct organization’s activities consistent with corporate policies/practices, goals, and objectives.
- Participate in budget planning and resource allocation. Implement policies, practices, and operating processes as prescribed by senior leadership. Report organization’s activities, progress, and achievements through written and oral reports to management, subordinates, and customers.
- Cooperate and communicate frequently with SETA, development contractors, mid-level and senior government officials to coordinate and report progress, issues, and results.
- Personnel management of Aerospace staff to include recruiting, training, and professional development.
What You Need to be Successful
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, physics, mathematics or another technical discipline.
- A minimum of 12 years of progressively more responsible engineering experience
- Strong team leadership
- Experience applying systems engineering principles to complex space systems through the entire life cycle
- Experience supporting major system acquisitions
- Experience supporting enterprise, system, and segment integration activities
- This position requires a current and active TS/SCI security clearance and polygraph, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- An advanced degree in science, engineering, or mathematics
- Experience working with the IC and mission partners
- Experience leading SIGINT systems engineering activities
- Experience supporting advanced SIGINT system research and development
- Management experience to include team-building, personnel development, performance management, budget and resource planning, and mentoring
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at email@example.com. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.