Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,300 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.SPACE SYSTEMS
This is a rare opportunity to play a key role in Rocket Lab’s evolution into an end-to-end space company that delivers launch, spacecraft, and on-orbit operations. The Space Systems Division is shaping Rocket Lab’s future with Photon, our brand of high-performance satellites, enabling innovative missions in low Earth orbit and beyond including missions for NASA to LEO, the Moon, and Mars and commercial customers, including leading the design and manufacture of 17 high-power telecommunication spacecraft buses for Globalstar.
Rocket Lab is also growing our spacecraft components business, anchored on the acquisition of Sinclair Interplanetary manufacturing reaction wheels and star trackers in Toronto, SolAero Technologies manufacturing solar power and primary structure solutions in Albuquerque, Planetary Systems Corporation manufacturing launch separation systems in Silver Spring, and Advanced Solutions, Inc., provider of flight and ground software as a service in Denver. Our components business is key to vertically integrating our spacecraft solutions and enabling constellations for customers.SPACECRAFT MECHANICAL ENGINEER
Based out of Rocket Lab's site in Long Beach, CA, the Spacecraft Mechanical Engineer is responsible for developing high performance and lightweight satellite deployment systems, mechanisms, and satellite bus configurations for our customers. You will support the Space Systems organization, with deliverables required for internal leadership, board of directors, and investors.What You’ll Get To Do
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS
- Support the Business Development team with proposals and mission concepts
- Develop high performance and lightweight satellite systems, mechanisms, and satellite bus configurations for our customers in collaboration with the BD team
- Develop concept and satellite configuration for business development and high value science and interplanetary missions
- Define what mechanisms look like on a modern satellite system/bus
- Own component designs from conceptual design through production, test, and operation
- Perform hand-calcs and FEA to drive design decisions
- Lead key component design, manufacturing, and test reviews
- Create and maintain product definition through CAD, production drawings, and test and operations procedures
- Manage development schedules, vendors, budgets, and other project deliverables
( Note: you must meet every qualification in order to be considered):
These Qualifications Would Be Nice To Have
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or other technical discipline
- 3+ years of satellite design experience
- Experience with CAD modeling and drawing
- Rapid conceptual design iteration experience
- Exceptional mechanical mechanism problem-solving skills
- Hands-on development and testing experience
- Experience with analysis and interpretation of test data (Thermal, Vibe)
- Ability to take a product from concept through to production with little supervision
- Highly self-motivated and able to work autonomously
- Master’s degree in mechanical engineering or aerospace engineering
- Ability to apply GD&T to component designs
- Experience developing satellite deployment systems
- General spacecraft systems engineering knowledge, and experience with requirements assessments and interface control document generation
The expected salary range for the position is displayed in accordance with the California Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience.
In addition to base salary, Rocket Lab offers a comprehensive total compensation offer package based on individual qualifications and experience, including company stock. Employees will also be eligible for medical, dental, vision coverage, 401(k) retirement plan options, and to purchase discounted stock through Rocket Lab's Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Pay Range (CA Only)
$85,000 — $119,999 USDImportant Information
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR
- 120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here