Capella is at the forefront of making vital information about our world accessible in a timely manner. We're leveraging proven technologies and building new capabilities to create a constellation of earth observation radar satellites that can collect information about any spot on the planet within an hour.
At Capella you'll work in a collaborative team environment, alongside smart people with a history of space mission success. No prior space experience is needed—we're looking for people excited about tackling seemingly impossible challenges, learning new skills and concepts, and helping each other achieve success.
Our mission and our products are meant to understand the whole world and help everyone in it, regardless of race, creed, or any other distinction. We believe in a diverse and inclusive workplace, and we encourage all people to join our team and bring their unique perspective to help make us stronger. We value diversity at Capella and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
About The Team
The Space Systems R&D Team is a multidisciplinary team within the Engineering department. We keep our eye out for the state-of-the-art technologies and bring them to the space vehicle to implement the product road map. Members of the team work across the organization to collaborate on requirements and implementation approaches to deliver innovative new systems.About The Role
Capella Space is seeking a Lead Software Engineer for our Spacecraft Software team. This position will be based in either our San Francisco or Louisville, CO office. In this role, you will collaborate with a multi-discipline engineering team (software, hardware, and test) to define requirements between hardware and software subsystems. The spacecraft software team supports all software running on board Capella's fleet of SAR satellites. The spacecraft software team develops C/C++ applications running on bare metal, RTOS, and Linux platforms that comprise the Avionics architecture.
In this role you will:
- Act as a tech lead and a team lead for embedded SW development, validation, implementation, and support tasks to ensure multiple team projects and programs are driven to completion.
- Manage a team of 3-6 software engineers, coaching them, overseeing performance management, growth opportunities, and accountability.
- Lead high-level design activities for new product features.
- Design and implement features for spacecraft control and monitoring functions using C/C++.
- Support new product development planning, task estimation, design, programming, unit testing, peer review, integration and release.
- Collaborate with external and internal customers, such as hardware, Radar, test, and other engineering teams throughout the product development life cycle.
- Participate in the analysis and specification of next generation hardware to support embedded software systems.
- Design and implement unit and integration tests in support of developer testing activities and integration with Continuous Integration (CI) pipelines.
- Participate and lead design and code reviews.
- Evaluate and recommend software development process improvements in collaboration with engineering management.
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or EE
- 5+ years in embedded SW development
- 5+ years experience in C/C++
- Familiar with software lifecycle development (e.g. Agile/Scrum, waterfall).
- Strong understanding of Object Oriented Design (OOD) principles.
- Strong understanding of FreeRTOS or other real time operating systems on ARM processors.
- Good familiarity with CI/CD test frameworks.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor peers.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Self-starter with the ability to operate efficiently with minimal supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- 1+ years of experience in people management
- Serial communications
- Experience with SPI, I2C, TDM, I2S, and parallel interfaces
- TCP/ID and UDP
- Zync Ultrascale+ architecture
- Familiarity with embedded Linux, Linux kernel modules, and standard Linux tools.
- This position requires the selected candidate to be a US Citizen or Green Card holder for ITAR purposes.
In addition to an opportunity to take part in an innovative and fast-growing business with a highly motivated and skilled team, we also take pride in taking care of our employees. Here are just a few ways that we show our appreciation:
- Disability and Life Insurance
- 401k plan
- Health Care, Dependent Care FSAs
- Commuter/Parking Flex Spending
- Flexible vacation policy
- In-office lunch program
- Dog friendly work environment (SF)
All team members at Capella Space must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to help ensure the safety our community.
The definition of fully vaccinated is subject to change (may include boosters).
Accommodation requests based on medical or religious reasons will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.