Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals. The company is also developing advanced space robotics capabilities such as terrain relative navigation, mobile robotics for lunar surface operations, and reliable computing systems for mission-critical applications. Originally spun out of Carnegie Mellon University in 2007, Astrobotic is pioneering affordable planetary access that promises to spark a new era of exploration, science, tourism, resource utilization, and mining. Astrobotic’s headquarters is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, with a second location in Mojave, California.
Astrobotic Technology is seeking a Spacecraft Systems Engineer to support the technical development, testing, and operation of the company’s lunar landers and space systems. This position will support the system engineering development process and be a source of technical guidance to all subsystems. This position reports to the Landers & Spacecraft Systems Engineering Manager. An ideal candidate for this role would be capable of supporting and/or leading a program’s systems engineering team.
Note: This position may be filled at multiple levels, including Engineer I, Engineer II, Senior, Principal, etc. depending on the candidate’s experience.
- Design development for a lunar lander and/or other space-based system
- Managing the concept of operations, mission and system requirements, design configuration, technical budgets, launch vehicle requirements, fault management, interface control, V&V planning, and technical risk and mitigation plan identification, through the entire life cycle of the program
- Provide technical guidance and direction to the system and subsystem engineering teams
- Work side-by-side with the systems engineering team, Mission Director, and key customers
- Support technical proposals for new business and mission opportunities
- Prepare and deliver technical documentation and reports
- Lead technical presentations and/or demonstrations
- Communicate with multiple engineering disciplines, partners, and customers to resolve technical risks and challenges
Required Skills And Experience
- Demonstrated experience in multiple of the following areas: systems engineering, structure/thermal design and analysis, avionics systems, power systems, propulsion system, communication systems, flight software, mission management, S&MA, trajectory analysis, launch vehicle constraints, risk management, and system configuration management
- Strong understanding of the space and launch vehicle mission environments
- Experience developing space systems, from feasibility studies through flight and mission operations
- Demonstrated experience leading engineering teams
- BS degree in Aerospace Engineering, Systems Engineering or other related fields.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant space mission experience. Advanced degrees may additionally be considered in lieu of professional experience.
Desired Skills And Experience
- Knowledgeable of System V&V planning
- Knowledgeable of Range Safety compliance
- Knowledgeable of EMI/EMC specifications and verification methods
- Knowledgeable of Model Based Systems Engineering
- Mission Operations experience with spacecraft systems or similar
Salary Range: $80,000- $150,000
The base salary range represents the low and high end of the anticipated salary range for this position. The actual base salary offered for this position will depend on numerous factors including individual performance, business objectives, and the candidates professional experience. Base salary is just one component of Astrobotic’s competitive total rewards strategy.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.