Long Beach, CA
Who We Are
At Virgin Orbit, we are launching the small satellite revolution, enabling missions that were previously unimaginable. We are delivering Virgin’s legendary customer experience by combining advanced technology with a diligent, hard-working team. We have built a workplace and a workforce of the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today are launching the industries of tomorrow. We have engaged a diverse and inclusive community of doers and dreamers alike, empowering all those working today to build satellites and constellations that will change the world.
At Virgin Orbit, we are opening space for good. Search all of our job openings on our career portal.
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a new member for our team to serve as a Senior Flight Software Engineer (C++ / Embedded) . If you join us in this position, you will assist in the design, development, and deployment of our flight software used for production of the LauncherOne small satellite launch program. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills.
This is a full-time position based in Long Beach, CA that can be worked remotely part-time as a hybrid schedule (2-3 days in office / remote).
- Collaborate with team members of other departments to gather requirements, and address questions related to the flight software
- Mentor and guide team members of the flight software team in the development of software
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- BS in STEM with 4+ years of experience in a Software Engineering role; or equivalent work experience in a similar role
- Proficient in modern C++ in an embedded development environment
- Proficient in Linux Kernel driver development and Board Support Package development
- Knowledge of embedded systems design
- Proficient with object-oriented languages and design patterns
- Proficient in using Test Driven Development, preferably using automated unit testing
- Proficient in debugging and trouble-shooting techniques
- Knowledgeable in the usage of a collaborative version control system, such as git and stash, in a team development environment
- Experience in using issue tracking systems such as Jira
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime as well as weekends when needed
- Must be able to provide proof of US-approved Covid-19 full vaccination status, unless otherwise exempted by an approved reasonable medical or religious accommodation from Virgin Orbit
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too...
- Experience with automated build environments such as Jenkins
- Experience in production environment following agile practices and light weight software development methods
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space
- Ability to thrive as a ‘one person team’, but work well as a Team Player
$100,000 - $140,000
Total Rewards at Virgin Orbit
At Virgin Orbit, we are STRAIGHT UP, which means we encourage honest and transparent communication. Our goal is to help you interpret the pay range you see and understand that compensation is much more than simply base pay. Individual compensation packages are based on candidate-unique attributes, including, but not limited to, skills, experience, qualifications, and other job-related factors. Cash compensation is only part of the total reward package, and the range reflects a strong market-based salary. Some jobs may also be eligible for bonus, overtime pay, weekend work compensation and differentials. In addition to cash compensation, all Virgin Orbit teammates are eligible for equity which includes stock options and/or RSUs (Restricted Stock Units) and an Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
At Virgin Orbit We Offer Some Of The Best Around
At Virgin Orbit, you work alongside some of the best and brightest, on the coolest premier dedicated small satellite launch service. We also know that benefits and belonging are an important piece of your total rewards package.
- Robust time off with holiday shut down between Christmas and New Year
- Better than market 401k including a Safe Harbor plan
- Superior health and welfare benefits offering an average 90% of benefits premiums paid, including some plans with zero employee contributions
- Financial wellness through Northstar which includes your personal financial advisor
- Paid parental leave
- Tuition reimbursement
- A variety of optional benefits such as pet insurance and discounts, and remote and/or hybrid opportunity for some positions
- Health Reimbursement program providing up to $3,000 max per year for eligible teammates
- Employee Resource Groups, Virgin cultural gatherings and success celebrations, professional growth opportunities, and more!
At Virgin Orbit, pay and total rewards is about offering competitive programs for any stage of your life and career. We constantly look for opportunities to enhance our programs and reward our teammates and we update our benefits offerings regularly.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR
- 120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men.
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.