Be more than just an employee number! Join Terran Orbital, the leader in innovation, manufacturing, and operations in the small satellite industry. We are a pioneer in the miniaturization of space technologies and the delivery of responsive space solutions. We are a unique, fast-growing, and trusted team focused on quickly and economically designing, building, launching, and operating state-of-the-art satellites for advanced mission constellations.
Terran Orbital Corporation is seeking an Electronics Packaging Engineer to join our Mission Assurance team. As an Electronics Packaging Engineer, you will be responsible for spacecraft and component structures capable of withstanding launch vehicles and space environments. You will also be accountable for high-reliability mechanisms, including locking hinges, actuators, reaction wheels, and gimballed mechanisms. Associated design efforts will include mass optimization, vibration attenuation, tuned thermal properties, and passive or active thermal control accommodations. Design for machinability, test, and assembly will be predominant design requirements. You will have support from various engineering disciplines, including structural and thermal analysts. You will also have onsite vibration, TVAC, HASS/HALT environmental test facilities; a Terran Orbital-owned machine shop equipped with new-model Haas CNC machines and supporting staff; and metrology equipment including x-ray CT scan, automated 3D precision measurement gantry and a precision multi-component dynamometer.
- Develop key subsystem modules across the flight system. Product development activities will include components from every subsystem and payload.
- Responsible for full lifecycle ownership of subsystem interfaces and electronics packaging from concept through design, manufacturing, and testing.
- Development of structures and mechanisms for mechanical packaging, deployment, thermal management, and spacecraft interface of complex electronic assemblies.
- Collaborate with systems, software, and digital engineering to develop optimal solutions to complex problems, including thermal management, layout support, and harness design and routing.
- Use hand calculations, computer-aided design, and detailed analyses to ensure all hardware meets or exceeds customer and internal requirements.
- Prepare and present detailed mechanical design reviews; generate detailed mechanical and harness drawings and assembly procedures
- Generate detailed mechanical and harness drawings and assembly procedures
- Develop test plans for parts through development, qualification, and acceptance testing
- Development of custom test interface hardware
- Support assembly and test of prototype and flight hardware
- Additional responsibilities as necessary, including support of other programs or integrated product teams when subject matter expertise, review, or input is required.
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent degree
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Complex electronics packaging design experience
- Solid understanding and demonstrated application of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing
- Understanding of structural and thermal analyses and failure modes of complex mechanical systems
- Hands-on experience performing fabrication, assembly, or testing of mechanical hardware
- Experience with SolidWorks, PTC Creo, or similar 3D computer aided design (CAD) tool
- Experience with NASTRAN, ANSYS, or similar commercial finite element analysis tool
- Meticulous attention to detail in design and documentation.
- Additional preferred experience:
- Space hardware design experience
- High-density phased array packaging design experience
- Design for manufacturability experience
- 100% Company-paid comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Employee Equity Incentive Program
- 401(K) Match
- Unlimited PTO
To comply with U.S. Government space technology export regulations, the applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. In addition, please note that this position may also require possessing a current United States National Security clearance or eligibility for such a clearance.
About Terran Orbital
Terran Orbital is a leading manufacturer of satellites primarily serving the United States and Allied aerospace and defense industries. Terran Orbital provides end-to-end satellite solutions by combining satellite design, production, launch planning, mission operations, and in-orbit support to meet the needs of the most demanding military, civil, and commercial customers. Learn more at www.terranorbital.com.
Terran Orbital is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.