The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The Electronics and Sensors Division (ESD) is a world-class engineering and scientific leader in electronics and remote sensing systems. The Machine Intelligence and Exploitation Department (MIXD) is an organization within ESD. Our staff includes scientists and engineers actively engaged in developing and applying data science techniques to issues of national importance. MIXD members apply Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning (AI/ML) as well as traditional processing and quantitative analysis techniques to facilitate the automated processing, exploitation, and integration of diverse data sources to enhance their timeliness, accuracy, and intelligence value.
This is a full-time position based in Chantilly, VA or Colorado Springs, CO.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Work within a diverse team of Physicists, Chemists, Remote Sensing Scientists, Data Scientists, Engineers, Software Developers, and Intelligence Analysts to
- Develop innovative applications of AI/ML to meet corporate and customer strategic needs and support the timely delivery of high-quality products to the end-user.
- Provide expertise in data analytics and algorithm development supporting the aggregation, integration, analysis and visualization of diverse data sources.
- Develop AI/ML algorithms for computer vision, predictive modeling, pattern recognition and anomaly detection.
- Improve upon current methods for the automated processing, integration and exploitation of diverse data sets
This position is available as Data Scientist-Engineering Specialist or Senior Data Scientist- Engineering Specialist Sr.
What You Need to be Successful
Data Scientist/Engineering Specialist
- A bachelor’s degree in a physical science or engineering field with a strong background in data science and artificial intelligence/machine learning (AI/ML)
- 8 years of experience in data analysis, data science and/or ML/AI
- Experience implementing machine learning algorithms in fields such as for computer vision, pattern recognition, anomaly detection, and the development of predictive models.
- Experience with translating large, non-curated datasets into structured formats amenable to machine learning applications.
- Comfortable with at least one programming or scripting language, such as Python.
- Familiarity with sensor domains, such as electro optical, synthetic aperture radar, and hyperspectral imagery.
- Familiarity with modern machine learning frameworks, such as PyTorch, scikit-learn, TensorFlow, etc.
- Strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work effectively within a diverse team of physical scientists, data scientists, software engineers, and intelligence analysts.
- Must possess or be able to obtain a Top Secret/SCI security clearance issued by the US Government (US Citizenship required).
Senior Data Scientist/Engineering Specialist Sr.
Same requirements as a/n Job Title/Profile 1 noted above, in addition to:
- Minimum 12 years of experience in data analysis, data science and/or ML/AI
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
Data Scientist/Engineering Specialist and/or Senior Data Scientist/Engineering Specialist
- Advanced degree (MS/PhD) in data science, mathematics, statistics, computer science, a physical science or engineering.
- Demonstrated real-world experience with advanced applications of deep learning for computer vision on operational data
- Background in image science with experience in one or more remote sensing phenomenologies, e.g., Synthetic Aperture Radar, Electro-Optical, Hyperspectral, Thermal Imaging, etc.
- Experience with capturing customer needs and addressing them with effective studies and research questions
- Background in statistics including spatial and temporal analysis
- Current and active Top-Secret level clearance with SCI access
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. The grade-based pay range for this job is listed below. Individual salaries within that range are determined through a wide variety of factors including but not limited to education, experience, knowledge and skills.
(Min - Mid - Max)
$103,285 - $168,019 - $232,752
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.