New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
- The applicant selected will be an Academic Part-Time Undergraduate Student and will report to the Mars Public Engagement manager. Will be provided with hands-on work experience in website development and maintenance. Will help maintain the mars.nasa.gov website content, and write scripts with various programming languages. Will enable web development through research and ongoing review of existing and new software and hardware technologies.
Will perform the following duties as a member of the Mars Exploration Public Engagement team:
- Performs routine job functions and activities within assigned area.
- Posts and maintains content on Mars-related web sites following accessibility standards
- Uses selected content management systems and update sites accordingly
- Develops new ideas to keep site up to date with changing technologies and web trends
- Assists in gathering and analyzing site metrics
- Works within the boundaries of standard procedure using basic publication software and content management tools.
- May participate in the creation or light editing of communication products for general audiences including content for internal and external websites or social media sites.
- Works on day-to-day assignments under direct supervision; receives detailed instructions on new assignments.
- Uses applicable policies, procedures and practices as guides to determine work methods and deliver results.
- Work is reviewed for accuracy and overall adequacy.
- Seeks guidance in applying applicable policies, procedures and practices to new situations to determine appropriate action.
- Interacts primarily with immediate task lead and team members within own organization.
- Develops and tests code for web and mobile application using modern methods of development.
- Able to troubleshoot, diagnose and resolve application issues.
- Must be currently enrolled at least half-time at an accredited college or university pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related discipline.
- Must be able to work a minimum of 15 hours per week, with a maximum of 30 hours per week while in school.
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- Completed coursework with exposure to standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in Web Support.
- Proficient Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Punctual, detail oriented, resourceful and a self-motivated individual.
- A self-starter with the ability to work independently and apply judgment in planning, prioritizing, and completing tasks.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize tasks with a strong attention to detail. Strong problem solving, critical thinking and analytical skills.
The typical hourly range for this job in Pasadena, California depending on education level $19 - $22/hour
- Prefer Sophomore or Junior
- Prior internship experience in related programming and/or information technology areas
- Participation in student organizations
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Photoshop.
- Ability to interface with all levels of personnel and the ability to resolve multifaceted issues.
- Highly organized individual that is detail oriented and able to multi-task and complete assignments.
- Graphic design aptitude and experience with some website development or maintenance.
- Skills in web-based development, including REST APIs and JS frameworks such as VueJS/Angular/React.
- Knowledge in AWS cloud services
JPL has a catalog of benefits and perks that span from the traditional to the unique. This includes a variety of health, dental, vision, wellbeing, and retirement plans, paid time off, learning, rideshare, childcare, flexible schedule, parental leave and many more. Our focus is on work-life balance, and living healthy, fulfilling lives as we Dare Mighty Things Together. For benefits eligible positions, benefits are effective the first day of the month coincident with or immediately following the employee’s start date.
For further benefits information click Benefits and Perks
The hiring range displayed below is specifically for those who will work in or reside in the location listed. In extending an offer, Jet Propulsion Laboratory considers factors including, but not limited to, the candidate’s job related skills, experience, knowledge, and relevant education/training. Hiring range for this job may be adjusted based on primary work location outside of Pasadena, California. This adjusted range will be provided to candidates by the Recruiter when applicable.
The typical full time equivalent annual hiring range for this job in Pasadena, California.
$0 - $0 see information above
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by Federal, state or local law.
In addition, JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
EEO is the Law.
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available here.