Thermal Test Engineer (m/w/d)
WHO WE ARE
We are Isar Aerospace and we are at the forefront of New Space building a modern space business to enable faster, better and cheaper access to space.
Our mission is to help democratise space and use it for good in order to improve life on Earth now and for the future generations.
We are a fast-growing company aiming to provide sustainable and environmentally friendly launch solutions for small and medium-sized satellites and constellations into Low Earth Orbit. The company is privately funded by world-leading technology investors with strong commitment and support and our team is made of driven and talented people with a real passion for space innovation.
We're making rockets in a way that hasn't been done before disrupting a traditional industry. If you are up for the challenge, want to work on cutting-edge projects and be part of a team changing the world for better, come, join us and launch your career!
WHY JOIN US
- Be at the centre of an agile and dynamic team of highly motivated space enthusiasts
- You will be part of an incredible start-up journey
- Huge learning potential and the opportunity to build things from the ground up (literally)
- You'll enjoy a high level of freedom and autonomy
- Flat hierarchy and open communication
The primary mission is to perform thermal and thermal vacuum tests during the development, qualification and acceptance of components and subsystems for our Launch Vehicle. You will be the owner of the thermal testing facility and a reference for our development teams. In addition to that, you will be in close contact with the avionics, fluids, and mechanisms team, being one of the first to operate their parts on simulated flight conditions and helping figure out the failure modes and improvements needed. In short, expect a steep learning and huge contribution to the new space in Europe.
More specifically, you will:
- Plan and perform thermal, thermal vacuum, thermal balance, thermal vacuum cycling and climatic tests at internal and external facilities
- Manage test setups, write specifications, arrange necessary tools and hardware, execute tests, process data and report results
- Participate with other teams to develop new thermal test procedures and help by answering related questions
- Develop internal test standards and procedures
- Work hands-on for all tests and help improve our facilities continuously
- When required, design and procure fixtures necessary for tests
- Help with test specimen set-up of complex flight systems
WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU HAVE
- B.Sc / M.Sc in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or similar
- Experience in hardware qualification & acceptance for aerospace. More specifically in thermal, thermal vacuum and climatic tests according to ECSS, SMCS or similar space or aerospace standards
- Essential knowledge of thermal properties of materials and working knowledge of thermal analysis
- Hands-on experience with thermal vacuum chambers, other climatic testing chambers and thermometry
- Experience in selection of thermal vacuum chambers, including equipment like transducers, accessories, cables or pumps
- Experience with planning tests, write detailed procedures and prepare reports
- Passionate about new space, curious and eager to learn
- Proficient with MS-Office tools
- High level of assertiveness and willingness to help others
- Collaborative, proactive and autonomous style of working
- Driven to deliver and constantly push the boundaries
- Take ownership and accountability for your own actions and mistakes
- Humble and willing to go out of your way to help others
- Can-do attitude and outstanding communication skills
- Fluent English and basic level of German
- Experience with other types of environmental tests e.g. vibration, acoustic, EMI/ EMC
- You enjoy hands-on activities such as cutting, drilling metal, soldering electronics, operating power tools etc.
- Data evaluation with Python
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THE SELECTION PROCESS:
If your profile matches our needs, you will be contacted in a few weeks by our Talent team for a first HR video-interview. A technical assignment might be sent to you in order to assess your knowledge on the topics required for the job. In case of positive outcome, you will then attend 1-2 technical interview(s) with your potential future colleagues.Benefits
Want to find more about us?
Note: Due to high volume of applications, we cannot get back to all candidates. If you have not heard from us within 2-4 weeks, please consider that your application has been unsuccessful for the current openings. However, in line with our GDPR policy, we will keep your details and will let you know if/when a suitable position comes up.