Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About The Role
You understand why and how a human-centered design approach transforms a business. As the Design Ops Program Manager, you will establish how the Product Design team works together as a team, how we get our work done, and how our work creates impact. You will orchestrate resources and processes to amplify design’s value and impact at scale for a global team of 9 UX/UI designers, researchers and content strategists. This position will report to the VP of Design. The team has been through rapid growth, will continue to grow, and requires an effective program manager who drives the design process, execution excellence, and excellent cross-functional relationships. You will get a chance to work on projects that drive change in the world, and you’ll do it in a rapidly evolving industry that requires truly novel design solutions.
Impact You’ll Own
- Prioritize and balance resources for the design team: people’s workload, budget, tools
- Provide visibility into the team’s workload, deadlines, and share the information with relevant stakeholders in product and engineering
- Work with procurement to get freelancers and new software tools into our system
- Work with senior leadership to establish a design process and project workflow
- Infuse the design process into the overall product development lifecycle by working with the technical program managers
- Ensure that all projects are set up properly Jira; alert relevant colleagues when project or deadline seems to be at risk
- Standardize our approach to research repositories and asset management
- Enable our colleagues to understand design’s impact by co-creating skills training, and helping to run workshops
- Help onboard new team members
What You Bring
- 6+ years professional experience managing complex digital products and processes
- 4+ years of experience working with a UX/UI team as a design ops manager or program manager
- Ability to demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Advanced Jira skills to set up and track complex, interrelated projects
- Ability to collaborate with a diverse stakeholder audience ranging from the technical developer side to the business-driven product management team
What Makes You Stand Out
- Previous experience with GIS, geospatial data and/or remote sensing -- even if it’s only tangential
- Experience as a Producer (for film, TV, gaming, photoshoots)
- Experience designing for SaaS and/or B2B products
- Experience working with Figma UX files
- A growth mindset
Benefits While Working At Planet
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $109,800 - $180,600. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentives (bonus and equity). The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why We Care So Much About Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
By clicking "Apply Now" at the top of this job posting, I acknowledge that I have read the Planet Data Privacy Notice for California Staff Members and Applicants, and hereby consent to the collection, processing, use, and storage of my personal information as described therein.
By clicking "Apply Now" at the top of this job posting, I acknowledge that I have read the Candidate Privacy Notice GDPR Planet Labs Europe, and hereby consent to the collection, processing, use, and storage of my personal information as described therein.