At Sierra Space, we are seeking leaders to guide our vision of a future where humanity lives and works in space, on moons, and on distant planets. People are married, children are born, families are raised, businesses are built, and new civilizations thrive. Sierra Space builds and delivers the future of space transportation, destinations and infrastructure, offering “space-as-a-service” in support of the new space economy.
Sierra Space, based in Louisville, Colorado with operations in Madison, Wisconsin, Durham, North Carolina, and Kennedy Space Center, Florida, designs and manufactures advanced spacecraft, satellites, propulsion and environmental systems, spacecraft subsystems and components for the U.S. government (including NASA), commercial customers and international organizations. Learn more about Sierra Space
The Advanced Development organization is a diverse, collaborative team tasked with rapidly creating the next generation of technology, products, and capabilities for Sierra Space. We are hands-on, embrace risk, and move quickly to fly impactful solutions for our customers. The Principal Systems Engineer provides leadership of projects and people in the concept, architecture, design, build, verification and validation, and operation of innovative robotic and manned spacecraft and subsystems for Low Earth Orbit (LEO), lunar, and deep space applications. The Advanced Development team is looking for both experienced and early-career spacecraft engineers and program managers.Must-haves:
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Physics or related discipline and typically 14 or more years of relevant experience
- Relevant work experience may substitute for required education
- Demonstrated knowledge of engineering principles and practices
- Progressive experience working in multi-disciplinary design and development teams
- Advanced understanding of requirements management, functional requirements parsing, derivation, and allocation; systems design, systems integration, technical risk identification and management strategies, and Verification and Validation (V&V) principles
- Excellent organizational, documentation, and communication skills (written, verbal, and graphical).
- Demonstrated experience briefing technical subjects to both technical and non-technical people and delivering key messages and insights from analysis products
- Self-motivated, with the ability to work rapidly with minimal supervision on projects involving both small and large engineering teams
- Willingness to work on a small team performing fast paced and complex engineering design evaluations for a diverse mission where everyone’s input matters
- Demonstrated Systems Engineering leadership roles on spacecraft and spaceflight throughout the lifecycle (concept development, requirements definition, design, development, testing, and operations)
- Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) experience
- Breadth of experience in spaceflight and spacecraft systems, with depth in one or more subsystems such as propulsion, software, avionics, communications, sensors, electrical, structures and mechanisms, thermal management, GN&C, C&DH, TT&C, and payloads
- Experience developing models, simulations, and automation using software and software languages such as MATLAB, Simulink, Python, Systems Tool Kit (STK), or C++.
- Experience with software tools such as DOORS, Cameo, Confluence, JIRA, and PLM suites such as Xcelerator, Envovia, and Windchill
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Security Clearance may be required Learn more about the background check process for Security Clearances
To conform to U.S. Government international trade regulations, applicant must be a U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State or U.S. Department of Commerce.
With 30+ years of proven spaceflight heritage, Sierra Space has provided more than 4,000 space systems, subsystems and components to customers worldwide, and participated in more than 500 missions to space, including to Mars. The company has technology in production and in development to enable space habitats for short- and long-duration space travel, a fleet of Dream Chaser spaceplanes, and the first free-flying commercial space station. Please visit www.sierraspace.com to learn more about Sierra Space, its business areas, capabilities, programs, products and services.
- Frequently walk, sit, stand, climb stairs and steps
- Frequently repeat same hand, arm, and finger motion many times to include finger and hand dexterity
- Rarely lifting or carrying up to 20 lbs.
- Rarely exposed to outdoor elements (high/low temperatures, sun, rain/snow, etc.)
- Rarely exposed to fumes or hazardous chemicals/materials
- Rarely exposed to loud noises
Estimated Starting Salary Range: $144,936.50 - $199,287.69
Sierra Space offers annual incentive pay based upon performance that is commensurate with the level of the position.
Sierra Space offers a generous benefit package, including medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k) with 150% match up to 8%, life insurance, 3 weeks paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and more.
At Sierra Space, our mission is to dream, innovate, inspire and empower the next generation to transform humanity through technology and imagination. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome our employees to bring their whole selves to their work. Sierra Space is committed to fostering an inclusive, accepting, and diverse environment free of discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Contributions to Sierra Space come in many shapes and styles, and we believe diversity in our workforce fosters new and greater ways to dream, innovate, and inspire.