- As a lab staff Systems Engineer at Sierra Space, you will work with an elite team to provide world-class test support to over 60 engineers utilizing the Vehicle Avionics and Flight Control Integration Labs (VAIL/FCIL).
This role includes dynamic test and development work on integration of avionics, mechanical control, electrical power systems, and electrical ground support equipment (EGSE) systems for the Dream Chaser® space plane. You will be working hands-on on test and development of complex system architectures, synergetic modeling platforms, and flight-like hardware.
The scope of this role includes vetting, troubleshooting, and executing tests under the direction of more senior hardware-software integration testing engineers. This role will specifically support the communication systems of Dream Chaser®, so RF communications, signals, software, or instrumentation experience is a major plus.
The ideal candidate has a high attention to detail, is a strong communicator, excels at real-time problem solving, and possesses sound interpersonal and decision-making skills. Computer proficiency is mandatory with experience in the Microsoft Office suite.
Sierra Space, based in Louisville, Colorado with operations in Madison, Wisconsin and Durham, North Carolina, designs and manufactures advanced spacecraft, satellites, propulsion and environmental systems, spacecraft subsystems and components for the U.S. government (including NASA), commercial customers and international organizations. Learn more about Sierra Space
- “Owning” test execution of the communication systems using test racks and software tools
- Participation in ongoing comm system development, problem-solving, and troubleshooting work as part of an engineering team
- Using standard and specialized electrical test equipment to support troubleshooting of the test system (oscilloscopes, power analyzers, signal generators, power supplies, break-out boxes, filters, attenuators, etc.)
- Architecting assembly, reconfiguration, and cable interface management of custom test equipment racks with input from hardware owners and senior engineers
- Able to communicate effectively with multi-functional teams (Engineering, Quality, IT, Management) to ensure customer needs are understood and executed correctly
- Review of engineering documentation for accuracy/completeness and generation of parts lists, processes, purchase requests, and engineering documentation change requests in support of executing test objectives
- Maintaining safety of space-grade hardware by diligent operational policy compliance in contamination controlled and electro-static discharge (ESD) sensitive environments
- Infrequent support of off-site test execution at NASA facilities (<10% of time)
- Bachelors of Science degree in Systems, Aero, Mechanical, Electrical, or Materials Engineering or related discipline and typically 3 or more years of relevant experience
- Practical knowledge of engineering principles and practices
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary design and development teams
- Knowledge of requirements management, functional requirements parsing, derivation, and allocation; systems design, systems integration, technical risk identification and management strategies, and Verification and Validation (V&V) principles
- Experience with RF communications, signals, test software (LabVIEW, MATLAB, Linux), instrumentation, or harnesses and cables a major plus
- Demonstrated problem solving and troubleshooting
- Experience operating in a controlled test laboratory environment or other highly regulated environment (aviation, space, medical, power generation, etc)
- Able to interpret and execute engineering documentation such as system schematics, functional block diagrams, engineering drawings, electrical schematics
- Effective multi-disciplinary communication
- Experience with electrical and RF test equipment preferred (oscilloscopes, power/spectrum analyzers, signal generators, power supplies, filters, attenuators, etc.)
To conform to U.S. Government international trade regulations, applicant must be a U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State or U.S. Department of Commerce.
With 30+ years of proven spaceflight heritage, Sierra Space has provided more than 4,000 space systems, subsystems and components to customers worldwide, and participated in more than 500 missions to space, including to Mars. The company has technology in production and in development to enable space habitats for short- and long-duration space travel, a fleet of Dream Chaser spaceplanes, and the first free-flying commercial space station. Please visit www.sierraspace.com to learn more about Sierra Space, its business areas, capabilities, programs, products and services.
- Frequently walk, sit, stand, climb stairs and steps
- Frequently repeat same hand, arm, and finger motion many times to include finger and hand dexterity
- Rarely lifting or carrying up to 20 lbs.
- Rarely exposed to outdoor elements (high/low temperatures, sun, rain/snow, etc.)
- Rarely exposed to fumes or hazardous chemicals/materials
- Rarely exposed to loud noises
Estimated Starting Salary Range: $91,154.71 - $125,337.72
Sierra Space offers a generous benefit package, including medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k) with 150% match up to 8%, life insurance, 3 weeks paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and more.
At Sierra Space, our mission is to dream, innovate, inspire and empower the next generation to transform humanity through technology and imagination. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome our employees to bring their whole selves to their work. Sierra Space is committed to fostering an inclusive, accepting, and diverse environment free of discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Contributions to Sierra Space come in many shapes and styles, and we believe diversity in our workforce fosters new and greater ways to dream, innovate, and inspire.