With a vision for a bustling in-space economy that can support permanent jobs in space, Orbit Fab is building the fundamental infrastructure this entire economy can be built upon: a fuel supply in orbit.
Today, satellites cannot be refueled. A single-use paradigm severely limits satellite mobility and holds back the development of economic activities in space. Orbit Fab is building the first Gas Stations in Space™ refueling infrastructure. We develop the supply chain architecture and technology to deliver propellant in space, allowing satellites to be built for lower cost, to be more flexible and maneuverable, to be more precisely controlled, and to operate longer, enabling operations and business models that have never before been imagined..
Established in 2018, we have already flown three tankers to space; with the first one flown within one year of founding. Working closely with partners and customers across the space industry, we are making the thriving in-space economy a reality.
We describe here the skills, qualifications, and responsibilities that we need to have as a team. You don't need all of them. Your aptitude for complex technical challenges and your practical experience designing/building/coding stuff will trump specific qualifications or tools any day!
Position Purpose: As a Mechanical Engineer III, you will support the engineering team in design, analysis, testing and prototyping of flight hardware for spacecraft and/or mechanisms. Working within the mechanical engineering group, you’ll be tasked with investigating design problems, providing justification of decision making and bringing a sound technical approach. This position will allow you to work independently and exercise your judgment, as well as be part of a cross-specialty team to solve the engineering problems that accompany hardware in space.
- Mechanical engineering design including spacecraft, structures, MGSE, actuators and mechanisms
- Mechanical system architecture affecting the mission as a whole and the products that will interface with the hardware
- Analyses required to satisfy internal requirements for hardware performance, life, and environment
- Modeling and design documentation of the mechanical systems using CAD
- Support of assembly and test including performance, shock, vibration and space environments
- Proactively identify roadblocks to technical progress and take steps to mitigate/avoid
- Produce a quality engineering product on time
- Give effective presentations to the team and customers
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department. Interact appropriately with others to maintain a positive and productive work environment
- US Person (Citizen or Permanent Resident) for ITAR purposes
- BS in Mechanical (or Aerospace) Engineering with 9+ years of experience OR MS with 7+ years of experience
- Proficient with computer aided design and analysis tools
- Experience developing mechanical structures or mechanism systems for space applications
- Shows initiative by demonstrating personal ownership of designs, seeking input from the Systems and cross functional engineers
- Can work autonomously, views work with a critical eye, prepares and gives peer reviews of work prior to critical milestones to peers.
- Collaborative and team focused
- Excellent communication, analytical, organizational, strategic, and statistical skills
- An effective sense of urgency and ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast paced, small company environment
Nice to Haves:
- Experience with LabView and MATLAB
- Experience with Onshape CAD software
- Experience with analysis software tools, such as Ansys
- Have flown flight hardware and followed through on designs from inception to final qualified product
- Have experience working with thermal and electrical teams to make better mechanical decisions for product development
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain safety critical code of flight systems in space
- Expertise working spacecraft or launch vehicle operations
- Familiarity with RPOD Rendezvous, Proximity Operations, and Docking flight operations
The estimated salary range for this position is $120,000-140,000
If you feel you would succeed in the role above, we encourage you to apply regardless of whether or not you meet all of the requirements listed.
Location and Benefits
Orbit Fab is based out of Lafayette, Colorado and all roles are based in Colorado. We offer fully covered benefits and flexible work hours.
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Orbit Fab Inc does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
COVID-19 continues to significantly impact our employees, families and communities. With employee health and safety as our top priority, Orbit Fab is taking action to address the increased risk and uncertainty COVID variants pose in the workplace. To uphold safety for all employees, we will continue to request vaccination status for all Orbit Fab employees including new hires.