Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
You will be a leader in Planet's information security team, working across all of Planet's functional teams, including the architecture, design, and implementation of security systems and controls for the Planet platform. You will oversee enterprise information security risk, as well as third-party cyber risk, evaluating information-related threats and vulnerabilities with the goal of aligning, implementing, and maintaining controls based on such risks. The ideal candidate will define a strategy incorporating confidentiality, integrity, availability, privacy, and recoverability of information assets owned, controlled, or processed by Planet, while balancing workforce productivity. The Planet Security team is rapidly developing and this is an opportunity to have an outsized impact on our efforts to image the Earth everyday.
- Own the strategic plan and roadmap for information and cloud security.
- Work closely with business and technology teams to understand Planet’s objectives, initiatives, and information security risk to ensure Planet’s security and compliance posture is robust, meeting and exceeding industry standards.
- Design and implement security systems and controls following security best practices.
- Oversee security risk assessments and risk management processes.
- Evaluate internally developed software, M&A targets, and vendor products and procedures to address security requirements.
- Serve as subject matter expert for security issues.
- Provide vulnerability remediation guidance to Planet engineering.
- Automate security testing and find innovative ways to scale the security team.
- Orchestrate incident response.
- Participate in external security certifications and manage customer security audits.
- Drive security awareness training programs, ensuring that all employees are trained on information security concepts and their role in safeguarding Planet.
- Work with legal and procurement to ensure information security requirements are included in vendor contracts.
- Stay abreast of relevant security developments, industry-wide events, regulations, and technologies.
- Coordinate development and implementation of incident response plans and procedures ensuring that business-critical services are recovered in the event of a security event, and provide direction, support, and in-house consulting in this area.
- Monitor the external threat environment for emerging threats, implementing mitigations and controls where relevant.
- Manage budgetary planning for the information security function.
- Build and nurture external networks consisting of industry peers, ecosystem partners, vendors and other relevant parties to address common trends, findings, incidents and cybersecurity risks.
The Must Haves
- Deviousness in thinking like an attacker to see the issues others don’t.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, with a specific focus on explaining security topics, such as the OWASP Top 10, clearly and to a variety of audiences with varying technical sophistication.
- Deep understanding of networking and web application architecture.
- Experience with the operations and security facets of cloud environments (Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud Platform, primarily).
- Experience with common attack scenarios across the layers of our infrastructure (cloud infrastructure, web applications and interfaces, authentication and authorization, network flows, code quality, insider threat, and the like).
- Deep understanding of information security principles and common reconnaissance and exploitation frameworks.
- Experience with enterprise risk management frameworks and implementing certification for SOC 2 and ISO 27001.
- Understanding of a wide range of vulnerability classes.
- Strong development experience in the security field, such as custom tooling.
- Public speaking, published work, and thought leadership in the information security industry.
- Red team experience.
Benefits While Working At Planet
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $149,600 - $246,000. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentives (bonus and equity). The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why We Care So Much About Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
By clicking "Apply Now" at the top of this job posting, I acknowledge that I have read the Planet Data Privacy Notice for California Staff Members and Applicants, and hereby consent to the collection, processing, use, and storage of my personal information as described therein.
By clicking "Apply Now" at the top of this job posting, I acknowledge that I have read the Candidate Privacy Notice GDPR Planet Labs Europe, and hereby consent to the collection, processing, use, and storage of my personal information as described therein.