Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About The Role
The Data Pipeline team is seeking a Geospatial Software Engineer for its Pelican Data Pipeline. Pelican is Planet's next-generation high resolution satellite constellation, which is planned to offer orders-of-magnitude improvements in capacity, speed, and accuracy to supplement our SkySats in orbit today. Our Data Pipeline team processes vast quantities of satellite image data into beautiful, visual products that provide scientifically useful analytics and actionable information. The work of the Data Pipeline team is performed at scale and affects millions of images and terabytes of data. Join us to have a tangible impact on a category-defining earth observation mission.
Impact You’ll Own
- Develop image processing software to deliver imagery products
- Implement image quality metrics
- Work with Payload group to support hardware changes
- Troubleshoot field quality issues
- Participate in an on-call rotation in support of Pipeline operations
What You Bring
- 3+ years of experience writing software to manipulate geospatial data
- Extensive knowledge of GDAL and other open-source GIS tools
- Experience writing production code in Python
- Experience leveraging scientific computing using Python in a Unix/Linux environment
- A passion for Programming, Photography, Remote Sensing, Earth Sciences, and Geography
What Makes You Stand Out
- Experience writing production code in C++
- Experience with existing and evolving standards for representing geospatial data on the web
- Experience optimizing code with parallel processing, e.g. multithreading, GPU acceleration
- Experience writing efficient production code in Python and C++ using GPGPU programming
Benefits While Working At Planet
- Comprehensive health plan
- Wellness and mental health programs
- 10 days of paid time off
- Recognition programs
- Commuter benefits
- Learning and tuition reimbursement
- Parental leave for all types of parents
- Offsites and happy hours (virtual for now)
- Volunteering benefits via 1% Pledge
Some Press About Us
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why We Care So Much About Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
By clicking "Apply Now" at the top of this job posting, I acknowledge that I have read the Planet Data Privacy Notice for California Staff Members and Applicants, and hereby consent to the collection, processing, use, and storage of my personal information as described therein.