DLR GfR mbH is a company providing reliable, safe and secure aerospace services. We operate and manage the constellation of Galileo satellites in the Galileo Control Center Oberpfaffenhofen on behalf of the European Commission.
Our company headquarters is located in an area widely known as a holiday destination - the five-lakes region in Upper Bavaria near Munich. At the space industry location in Oberpfaffenhofen, our around 250 employees work every day in international and interdisciplinary teams on the navigation for the future. Become a part of us!
DLR GfR is the operator of the GALILEO Control Centre in Oberpfaffenhofen (Germany) and is responsible for operating, monitoring and maintaining the entire GNSS satellite constellation on a 24/7 basis. GALILEO is an independent European Satellite Navigation System under civil control and has been developed on behalf of the European Commission together with EUSPA and ESA.Your Mission
DLR GfR is seeking young, talented and enthusiastic IT specialists/SW-Developers which help to build up NAVCAST, a real-time high accuracy positioning service providing e.g. orbit and clock corrections as well as code and phase bias estimates to GNSS users worldwide. By exploiting data from GPS and GALILEO, NAVCAST achieves a typical position accuracy of about 20cm. This enables many static and kinematic applications in the civil domain, e.g., in areas of Navigation, Surveying, Machine GEO-referencing or Scientific Geodesy. In the context of NAVCAST evolution and in anticipation of forthcoming service operations, DLR GfR is seeking an IT-System Designer/Software Developer supporting the ongoing development of NAVCAST, providing L2/L3 maintenance support and assisting the operator during test and troubleshooting activities.Have we raised your interest? Then apply now, join a great team and be part of something big!
Your Main Responsibilities
- Perform NAVCAST Software and Hardware Upgrades and Support System Evolutions
- Maintain and update the system and continuously improve the system automatization
- Design and develop new system functionalities and deploy them on the processing chains
- Maintain a versioned repository of the software artifacts (e.g., in Gitlab)
- Development of SW code for the smooth operation of Navcast and its interfaces
- Maintain NAVCAST Hardware and Software
- Provide L2/L3 maintenance support for the operators (at 8/5 level)
- Support the Operator in error handling and debugging
- Improve the NAVCAST system documentation to achieve a high level of maintainability
- Provision of Design Support for the NAVCAST System
- Develop and implement a scalable, highly reliable and easy to maintain system design that is resilient against a multitude of error scenarios
- Design and setup the interface components for the end-user data dissemination
- Support to System Monitoring and NAVCAST Performance Evaluations
- Implement, configure and test the software used for service and system monitoring
- Perform routine monitoring and control (M&C) activities, including anomaly handling for troubleshooting and error correction purposes
- Contribute to NAVCAST Performance Evaluation Reports (based on KPI scheme)
- Support to NAVCAST Validation
- Develop a testing and validation plan together with the System Engineer/Operator
- Develop and automate testing campaigns together with the operator
- Validate changes applied at system and sub-system level, write validation reports and deploy the validated system on the production chains.
- Experience in designing, scaling and implementing software in high volume products that require high reliability and fault tolerance
- Significant understanding of software principles and ability to contribute to design sessions
- At least 2 years of experience in the design of reliable and scalable server software systems
- Familiarity with basic Linux command line tools for system configuration and maintenance
- Thorough knowledge of computer architectures and networks
- Profound knowledge of Virtualization Techniques, e.g., with Docker/Podman/VMWare and the hosting of software components on virtualized hardware
- Ability to follow a SCRUM-like approach, i.e. to work independently in a very systematic and structured way on tickets while meeting milestones and deadlines
- Willingness and ability to become an expert at software-level for complex core processing elements, such as BERNESE, a tool based on Fortran code
- Fluent user of programming/scripting languages, such as Bash, Perl, Python, Fortran, C/C++
- Of advantage:
- Familiarity with GNSS topics like the generation of orbit, clock, code/phase bias estimations and IONO/TROPO corrections would be considered an asset
- Experience in data visualization tools such as Grafana
- Basic knowledge of database systems like SQL or InfluxDB.
- University degree in Informatics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or similar MINT disciplines
- At least 2 years of experience in hardware and software support on Linux/Unix systems
- Strong analytical skills and ability to work independently
- High team spirit, very good communication skills and “Can-do” attitude
- Fluent in English, German would be an asset.
- Collaboration in the European lighthouse project Galileo
- Trusting and appreciative cooperation in an international environment
- International team spirit
- 30 days annual leave
- Additional days off on 24.12., 31.12. and Shrove Tuesday
- Work-Life-Balance e.g. through flexible working time models, mobile office options and an individual support by a demand-oriented family service
- Varied personnel development program
- Individual career options (for example through secondments to partner agencies / enterprises abroad)
- Employer-financed retirement plan
- Attractive location with a high recreational value in the five-lakes region near Munich
- And much more ...
We have aroused your interest but you still have questions about the position? Then please contact us!