The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The Vehicle Systems Division (VSD) sits at the center of the ideas and data behind current and future systems supplying innovative research and development; technical evaluations during the acquisition process; conceptual and detailed design; assembly, integration, and test; and operational support. Comprised primarily of highly-trained mechanical and aerospace engineers, VSD provides national expertise in the areas of vehicle engineering; guidance, navigation, and controls; robotics; electro-mechanical devices; embedded systems; fluid mechanics; propulsion; thermal control; orbital mechanics; mechanisms; structures; structural dynamics; and dynamic environments.
As an Engineering Specialist,
you will work within the Structural Dynamics Department. Our mission is to provide our internal and external customers the highest quality technical expertise in the areas of analytical, experimental, flexible, and rigid body dynamics for the design, development, acquisition, and operation of space launch and orbital systems. We specialize in spacecraft and launch vehicle dynamics; mode survey test planning and independent data assessment; time series data analysis; independent integrated spacecraft/launch vehicle coupled loads analysis; and flexible system separation analysis and testing.
This is a full-time hybrid work position based in El Segundo, CA. Remote work will be considered for candidates with substantial relevant experience as the business needs allow.
What You’ll Be Doing
- You will perform structural dynamic analyses and evaluations of launch vehicle and spacecraft loads for all phases of flight
- S/he will develop simulation tools and processes to solve structural dynamics problems
- Evaluate analytical predictions versus flight sensor data to develop recommendations to improve loads analysis methods
- Plan and oversee the execution of mode survey testing for various launch vehicle and space vehicle components, including test data quality verification and finite element model correlation to test data
- You will conduct analyses and investigations to solve a broad range of structural dynamics problems requiring advanced treatment and/or coordination within the department and other technical disciplines
- Provide technical support and expertise to program offices and external customers in the discipline of structural dynamics
What You Need to be Successful
- Bachelor's degree in degree in a STEM field or equivalent is required
- Typically, 8 years of applicable professional or educational experience is required
- Knowledge of finite-element model development techniques and software, preferably Nastran
- Knowledge of classical vibration and transient response analysis theory
- Sound knowledge of Linear Algebra and its application in structural dynamic computations
- Project management or team lead experience
- Willingness to occasionally travel and to work off-business hours to support customer needs, approximately 5% (as required)
- This position requires ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- Advanced degree in Mechanical, Structural, or Aerospace Engineering or similar field with related coursework in structural dynamics is highly preferred
- 12 or more years of applicable professional or educational experience in structural dynamics or similar field is strongly desired
- Experience with high frequency data acquisition and signal processing
- Experience with mode survey and other dynamic testing
- Knowledge of component-mode synthesis techniques and finite-element analysis programs, especially experience with Nastran and DMAP programming
- Project management or team lead experience related to development of computational analysis tools and maintenance of finite-element analysis best practices/methodologies
Grade-Based Pay Range
(Min - Mid - Max)
$98,294 - $159,916 - $221,537
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at email@example.com. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.