We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
The engines system analysis team is focused on engine performance and internal fluid flow problems with advanced lumped parameter models. The models owed by our team are critical to defining test sequences, predicting test behavior, ensuring engine performance meets requirements and defining upgrades. These engines will be use to power our vehicles that fly to space.
This role is part of the system level analysis team. As a key propulsion analyst, you will be performing analyses, supporting rocket engine testing, interacting with both Chief Engineers and component owners. You will build and run steady state and transient analytic models of engines and other test articles to predict how they operate. To be part of our team you will be expected to create and use 1D fluid analysis software and codes to perform advanced analysis of rocket engine systems; provide guidance and mentoring of junior engineers; and help support the development of processes and tools. To be successful on this team, you will need to be able to work collaboratively to solve problems while owning independent projects to completion.
We are looking for someone that is great at fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, system level thinking, eager to learn, and enjoys modeling rocket engines!
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering
- 8+ years of engineering experience (level commensurate on experience)
- Experience in modeling complex fluid systems
- Understanding of numerical solvers and methods
- Understanding of fluid components like valves, gas turbine engines, internal combustion engines, etc.
- Strong understanding and ability to apply engineering fundamentals including thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and power systems
- Proficient in programming and knowledge of at least one programming/scripting language (Python/MATLAB/Fortran/etc.)
- Shown familiarity with data analysis and anchoring models to test data
- Curiosity to understand engines at a component and system level
- Desire to work in a collaborative, fast paced, and dynamic environment
- Experience overseeing, guiding, and mentoring fellow engineers
- Ability to communicate analysis results to various customers and partners
- Ability to be self-directed and balance several tasks at one time
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- M.S. degree or higher
- Knowledge of ROCETS, NPSS, GFSSP, Thermal-Desktop or an equivalent system modeling software package
- Knowledge of Fortran
- Demonstrated experience with modeling pump fed liquid rocket engine systems
- Experience in cryogenic propellants
- Proven track record leading teams
- Demonstrated experience with system or performance analysis across the lifecycle of a product or across different products
- Experience with engine qualification, verification, and testing
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to receive information on Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability and 401(k) with up to 5% company match.
Paid Time Off: Provides up to 4 weeks per year, in addition to 14 holidays