The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The Vehicle Systems Division (VSD) sits at the center of the ideas and data behind current and future systems supplying innovative research and development; technical evaluations during the acquisition process; conceptual and detailed design; assembly, integration, and test; and operational support. Comprised primarily of highly-trained mechanical and aerospace engineers, VSD provides national expertise in the areas of vehicle engineering; guidance, navigation, and controls; robotics; electro-mechanical devices; embedded systems; fluid mechanics; propulsion; thermal control; orbital mechanics; mechanisms; structures; structural dynamics; and dynamic environments.
The Structural Mechanics Subdivision is seeking a Director, Mechanical Systems Department
, who will provide management oversight; serve as a senior point of contact for Program Offices; align department goals and objectives with those of the Corporation; obtain from customers feedback on their needs and on department performance; establish priorities; coordinate tasks/schedules between department sections, customers, and other Aerospace organizations as needed. You will promote awareness of, and compliance with policies and practices; promote a climate of continual learning and mentoring; develop new business and motivate technological innovation; serve as a senior advisor and team leader on strategic assignments and anomaly teams; and perform line management functions including staffing, training, mentoring, and strategic planning.
This is a full-time position located in El Segundo, CA, and can support telework as the business needs allow.
What You’ll Be Doing
- You will provide broadly informed technical and managerial leadership to the Mechanical Systems Department
- S/he will review and approve technical work, documentation, and briefings intended for release outside of the department
- Coordinate development of technical positions
- You will create briefings and white papers, as required, to communicate department technical positions
- Document technical approaches where appropriate
- Maintain understanding of current and future classified, unclassified, and commercial customer needs via continuous interaction with management and program offices
- S/he will support evolving strategic direction and objectives for the department consistent with corporate goals, customer needs, and assigned functions; and clearly communicate expectations to staff
- Encourage creative thinking, and development of enhanced and new processes, tools, and skills to increase organizational capabilities spanning concept design through development, launch, deployment, and operation of launch vehicles, spacecrafts, and other critical structure
- Identify, promote, and lead new business initiatives and exploit and help advance the state-of-the-art capabilities within the department
- Monitor department technical activities to ensure they are consistent with organizational standards and coordinated within the subdivision and other ETG organizations
- Lead audit, anomaly, and other investigation teams as requested
- Support line management functions, including staffing, conducting performance reviews, recognizing outstanding performances, developing staff, and performing other administrative duties
What You Need to be Successful
- Bachelor’s degree in a STEM field or equivalent
- Typically, 12 years of applicable professional or educational experience with experience in a supervisory role is required
- Strong technical leadership skills and proven ability to build and lead teams
- Recognized ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of corporate staff, customers, and contractors
- Proven ability to solve diverse problems by proactively applying a broad set of skills including acute technical insight, seasoned problem-solving, and maturity of judgment
- Demonstrated people management skills, including hiring, mentoring, staff development, and administering performance reviews
- Excellent communication skills, and a balanced and data-driven decision process
- This position requires a TS/SCI security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- Advanced degree in a mechanical engineering field or equivalent is highly desirable
- Broad range of experience in the technical areas of department responsibility, which include design, acquisition, analysis, and testing of mechanisms driven by explosives, springs, or motors; ball bearings; gears; separation mechanisms and modelling; hydrocode modelling of explosive materials and other materials in hypervelocity applications. Recognized technical expertise in mechanisms, ordnance devices, separation systems, bearings, gears, related component supply chains, and component/system resiliency with respect to hypervelocity impact
- Knowledge in development of structural mechanics methodologies, numerical algorithms, and implementation in computer programs
- Demonstrated working relationships with subdivision’s major customers in SSG, NSG, CSG, DSG, CCEO, OCTO
Grade-Based Pay Range
(Min - Mid - Max)
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at email@example.com. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.