Astroscale are looking for an experienced and motivated Senior Mechanical Design Engineer to join our team in the UK at our new state of the art facility in Harwell.
This role will focus on the design of various spacecraft components and subsystems, such as designing the capture mechanism and docking plates for our future Space orbital debris removal projects. You will be helping to make a difference to space sustainability for future generations by using your skills to work on problem of space debris.
Your responsibilities will include creating conceptual and detailed design in 3D CAD, and creating manufacturing and ICD drawings for parts and assemblies. As a senior member of our Mechanical Design team you will take the lead on certain aspects of the work as well as mentoring other team members.
In addition, this technical role will work closely with our Structural Analysis, Assembly, Test & Verification (AIV) and Ground Segment teams. This role is ideally suited to someone looking to be hands on and get stuck into all the Mechanical Design team tasks; including helping to operate, maintain and optimize our PLM system.
We are a fast-growing company where you can expand on your experience and develop your skills further to enable your team to deliver amazing results. Your role will help us make a difference every day by supporting the mechanical design team to ensure they are well placed to drive forward our missions and help to make space safer and more sustainable for future generations.
- Generation of mechanical requirements (at spacecraft, subsystem, and unit levels).
- Plan the mechanical design of hardware including spacecraft structure, mechanisms, unit modules, and ground support equipment to meet mission requirements.
- Work closely with Mechanical Analysis Engineers on the structural analysis of flight and mission support hardware.
- Work with AIV team to ensure that mechanical design considers ease of manufacture, assembly, integration and test.
- Define and perform hardware related activities throughout spacecraft design and development, AIV phases, and Launch campaigns.
- Support structural testing of flight and engineering related hardware.
- Generate and maintain MCAD related documentation including specifications, manufacturing drawings (part / assembly / ICD procedures, work instructions, reports, etc).
- Lead Mechanical design on specific projects or aspects of projects, define required solutions and guide team to achieve solutions.
- Generate inputs to project lifecycle reviews (PDR, CDR, etc).
- Support Procurement with manufacturing supply chain and supplier engagement.
- Assist company-wide projects and activities as a member of the global Astroscale team.
- Mentor Mechanical Design team members.
- Diploma; bachelor or master’s degree in mechanical engineering or relevant engineering / science discipline.
- 5+ years of experience as mechanical design engineer, with experience in the space industry desirable (other hi-tech industries such as aircraft, motorsport etc. will also be considered).
- Proficient ideally using SolidWorks, (other CAD software packages such as CATIA, NX, CREO etc. will also be considered).
- Experience with Engineering Change Processes and using a PDM/PLM system.
- Good manufacturing drawing knowledge, including GD&T, to appropriate standards.
- Ability to prepare mechanical aspects of a plan against project needs and deliver against this
- Experience working in a start-up environment or SME.
- Familiarity with FEA through using structural analysis software packages such as Ansys, Nastran, Hyperworks etc.
- Knowledge of engineering verification and validation processes.
- Experience leading a design and technical leadership of a design team.
- Experience designing innovative spacecraft related hardware and / or efficient mechanical solutions.
- Competitive base salary
- Opportunity to work with a highly talented, diverse & dynamic international team with cutting edge technology
- Flexible working around core hours in a friendly and supportive environment
- Hybrid working available (dependent on individual role requirements)
- 25 days holiday (increasing yearly up to a maximum of 28 days) + 8 days Bank Holiday
- Life insurance and long-term sick pay
- Private healthcare (taxable benefit)
- Relocation allowance
- Visa sponsorship for employees considered
- New state of the art office and cleanroom facility
- Regular social events
Astroscale UK (Harwell), with potential for some travel to Astroscale Japan (Tokyo)
We aim to deliver cutting edge technologies that will become part of routine commercial space operations by 2030.
Astroscale is the first private company with a vision to secure the safe and sustainable development of space for the benefit of future generations, and the only company dedicated to in-orbit servicing across all orbits. Founded in 2013, we are developing innovative and scalable solutions across the spectrum of in-orbit servicing missions, including End of Life services, Active Debris Removal, In-situ Space Situational Awareness and Life Extension Services, to create sustainable space systems and mitigate against the hazardous build-up of debris in space.
Astroscale is an Equal Opportunities employer and embraces a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Note to recruitment agencies: Astroscale operates a preferred Supplier List, and we do not accept unsolicited agency approaches. Please do not forward candidate CVs or details in response to this advert, or to any Astroscale employee.