New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.Responsibilities
If you are passionate about spacecraft design, we invite you to join the Flight Systems Engineering, Integration and Test Section
. We provide systems engineering for the design and implementation of spacecraft for the laboratory’s key flight projects. Our work spans spacecraft systems engineering, payload systems integration, electrical systems integration, fault protection and autonomy design, landing systems design, spacecraft assembly and test, systems verification and validation, and systems modeling.
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced systems engineer
to serve as Project-level V&V Engineer
for the Europa Clipper Project
. You will report to the Group Supervisor for the System Verification and Validation Group
and support the Clipper Project V&V Lead and Project Systems Engineering Office as your primary technical stakeholders. Your primary responsibility will be to manage the Flight Dictionary V&V working with the Systems Engineering team at large to ensure successful interactions between the flight and ground elements of the Europa Clipper Project. You will work independently and within a team environment, collaborating on tasks performed across a spectrum of disciplines and have excellent writing and oral presentation skills.Tasks
- Collaborate with V&V Leads and Systems Engineers across Flight System and Payload to streamline and capture scope of dictionary V&V.
- Integrate flight dictionary V&V results and status from all subsystems and payload instruments into institutional tool HELIX.
- Perform software checkouts of some dictionary items (generic commands, parameters, data products, etc) for new dictionary builds.
- Create progress metrics to represent dictionary V&V status and report to Project and Institutional management.
- Develop tools to automate dictionary syncing and reporting. Helpful to have python and/or VBA experience.
- Work closely with FSW team and FSSE leadership on management of change requests and bug-fixes slated for various releases to the V&V team.
- Manage Flight Rules and FS idiosyncrasies input into HELIX.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Physics, or related technical discipline with a minimum of 3 years of professional experience, or Master’s degree with a minimum of 1 year of experience, or Ph.D.
- Hands-on experience in requirements definition, flow-down, and verification & validation.
- Significant knowledge of software development cycle, including integration, testing, and release.
- Significant knowledge of the function and operation of spacecraft systems.
- System-level V&V or I&T experience on Space Systems spanning flight and ground elements.
- Experience managing large scope test campaigns and corresponding databases.
- Demonstrated competency across Systems Engineering, preferably in the area of V&V.
- Proven ability to synthesize the unique discipline knowledge of a broad range of technical subject matter experts.
- Experience leading tasks and coordinating working groups on large-scale projects in system development, test, and/or operations.
- Experience delivering hardware or software to a set schedule and budget.
- Expertise in Database management, metrics, and automation.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by Federal, state or local law.
In addition, JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
EEO is the Law.
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available here.