Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
To help achieve these efforts, Stratolaunch is seeking a Structural Engineer I to support design, analysis, integration, testing, and maintenance of hypersonic aircraft structure. This position will include conceptualized and detailed design of components, sizing and analyzing components, generating CAD model parts and assemblies, creating margin reports, and supporting the manufacturing effort. You must be comfortable receiving direction and guidance from lead and experienced structural engineers and supporting your design through the entire design life cycle, as relevant and needed. You are responsible for contributing to the vehicle’s structural technical performance, including meeting design and mission requirements, resolving technical challenges, and implementing technology upgrades that improve the competitive basis of the hypersonic vehicle architecture.
- Perform detailed design of various structural components, leading to release of engineering work orders
- Size and analyze components to meet program structural requirements, including writing margin reports
- Design various secondary/support structure for mounting components
- Select material systems and construction techniques that meet project objectives
- 3D CAD model parts and assemblies
- Create and modify existing work instructions and drawings for parts and assemblies
- Work with the shop to fabricate and assemble your designs
- Resolve technical challenges as they arise for hypersonic vehicle and its integration with the carrier aircraft
- Regular and comprehensive communication to structures lead
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity, and fulfillment of commitments
Qualifications & Skills
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experience with 3D CAD modeling of parts and assemblies
- Experience with metallic part fabrication and manufacturing methods
- Experience with aerospace fasteners and specs
- Experience with drafting and GD&T
- Ability to perform hand calculations to analyze your designs
- Ability to communicate technical challenges and guidance to varied audiences to explain rationale and/or resolve concerns
- Ability to take direction, work relatively independently, and prioritize tasking to fit within the business goals
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
- Ability to perform basic FEM analysis of your designs
- Experience creating work instructions
- Experience with composite tooling methods
- Experience with aerospace-grade hardware and mechanical design best practices
- Experience with ground test hardware, including releasing engineering definition and developing work instructions
- Experience with component-level or subsystem level test planning and execution
- Active TS/SCI security clearance
Required Computer Skills:
- Computer Aided Design tools – NX (preferred), CATIA, or Solidworks
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
Preferred Computer Skills:
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 0-2 years of engineering experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
Benefits and our location:
- Position based in Mojave, CA
- Travel, as needed, to support the department. Travel estimated to be <5%
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Skiers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts.
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.
Applicants must be a US citizen or Green Card holder to be considered for this role.
Stratolaunch is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law:
Job Category: Engineering