Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
The Payroll Manger is responsible for all areas relating to payroll and reports to the Controller. Oversees the accuracy and timeliness of payment of employee wages, reporting and payment of federal and state taxes, and proper recording within the company general ledger. Assures compliance in all areas of payroll administration as well as adherence to federal and state payroll laws and tax regulations. This role will interact with employees across the company and must exhibit strong professionalism and communication skills. The successful candidate will have a strong eye for detail, understand the ins and outs of multi-state payroll, and can communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Manage and guarantee the disbursement process for a multi-state payroll, including garnishments, voluntary deductions, benefits, and taxes for 250+ FTEs, consistent with federal and state wage and hour laws. On a bi-weekly basis
- Responsible for the accurate and timely calculation and payment of wages to employees
- Identify and properly account for all payroll tax and employee taxation issues, including relocations, garnishments, fringe benefits and gross-ups
- Validate timecard entries to ensure accurate record keeping
- Maintain and update employee records such as PTO, salary changes, terminations, etc.
- Work with management to devise plans and solutions on payroll-related taxation and compliance issues
- Remain apprised of current tax and regulation changes to ensure compliance with federal, state and local tax and labor authorities
- Responsible for the calculation, online filing and remittance preparation of quarterly WA State L&I Worker’s Comp Insurance
- Research, develop and implement workflow process improvements and system solutions to increase efficiency within the payroll function. Ensure proper controls and documentation of payroll procedures and processes are maintained as well as review and implement changes when necessary
- Resolve issues and answer employee payroll-related questions and requests
- Collaborate with HR department to update/improve policies and procedures
- Maintain accurate records, prepare reports, and maintain confidentiality of payroll information
- Assist with the budgeting of employee compensation and benefits
- Assist in month-end close processes, including preparation of journal entries, reconciliations, and account analysis
- Coordinate year-end processes and communications
- Support audit requirements (annual payroll audit, 401K audit, worker compensation audit)
- Maintain detailed reconciliations of balance sheet payroll liability accounts
- Ensure compliance throughout various taxing agencies
- Coordinate the payroll set-up and registration of all necessary state and local agency identification numbers and rates, as the Company expands
- Identify areas for improvement and facilitate the necessary change
- Maintain and troubleshoot systems internal to the payroll, accounting process
- 5+ years’ payroll experience, preferably in the state of California
- Experience working with Costpoint a plus
- ADP Workforce Now experience preferred
- Experience with processing payroll for a company with 100+ employees single-handedly
- Knowledge of payroll practices, principles, regulations, and procedures
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Associate’s degree (A.A.) from accredited institution and five plus years relevant experience, OR, equivalent combination of education and experience. CPP certification preferred.
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- This position is located in Mojave, CA
Benefits and our location:
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave up to 16 weeks
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement for continued education
Applicants must be a US citizen or Green Card holder to be considered for this role.
Stratolaunch is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law: