Stratolaunch is developing an air-launch test platform to contribute to high-speed research and development. The goal of Stratolaunch is to utilize the capabilities of the Stratolaunch Carrier Aircraft and air-launch test vehicles to enable development of technologies that may not exist otherwise. Stratolaunch strives to create technology development opportunities for commercial, philanthropic, and governmental organizations to collect rich and actionable data and drive advancements in science, research, and technology.
To achieve these great efforts, Stratolaunch needs a Senior Structural Engineer (Analyst)
to participate in the development of the Talon-A vehicle. This position also includes development and implementation of other segments of the Stratolaunch architecture, which could include airborne support equipment, launch vehicle, and ground elements.
As a Senior Structural Engineer, you are responsible for contributing to the conceptual and detailed design of the high-speed vehicle primary and supporting structure. You are responsible for contributing to the vehicle’s structural technical performance, including meeting design and mission requirements, resolving technical challenges, and implementing technology upgrades that improve the competitive basis of the Stratolaunch architecture.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Participate in and/or lead portions of the structural development of the Talon-A vehicle
- Perform detailed design of various structural components, leading to release of engineering definition and work orders
- Evaluate vehicle loads and environments for your area of design
- Evaluate your designs using finite element analysis
- Design various secondary/support structure for mounting components in Talon-A
- Select material systems and construction techniques that meet project objectives
- Create analysis reports to support the documentation of structural margins
- Disposition manufacturing nonconformance's and resolve technical challenges, as they arise
- Evaluate risks and develop risk mitigation plans for Structures
- Regular and comprehensive communication to your project lead
- Contribute to the integration of complex aerospace systems
- Travel, as needed, to support the company
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong fundamental structures background, including the ability to hand size structural components
- Experience with the design of composite structures using FEMAP/Nastran analysis software
- Experience with pre-preg composites and bonded and wet tied composite structure
- Experience with loads development
- Ability to support the shop in solving manufacturing issues in real-time
- Ability to communicate technical challenges and guidance to varied audiences to present technical solutions and resolve questions
- Ability to work on their own initiative and prioritize tasking to fit within the business goals
- Complex aerospace system development
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities
Required Computer Skills
- 3D CAD (CATIA)
- FEMAP, Nastran
- Experience with Python, C++, or Matlab, etc.
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Experience with Python, C++, or Matlab etc. as it pertains to FEMAP interfacing and data reduction
- Experience with BMI or epoxy pre-preg composites
- Experience with static structural testing
- Experience with metallic part design, analysis, and GD&T
- Experience with structural thermal analysis
- Security clearance
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 5-plus years of relevant experience OR equivalent combination of education and experience
Applicants must be a US citizen or Green Card holder to be considered for this role.
- This position is located in Mojave, CA
- Some travel (<5%) may be required
Stratolaunch is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law:
Job Category: Engineering