You will be part of a team of driven and enthusiastic engineers working to prototype, design, develop, and test our innovative STAR-3DTM hybrid rocket engine-powered small launch vehicle. You will lead a small team of systems engineers responsible for systems engineering and integration of both launch vehicle and ground support equipment development.
You should be comfortable working in a fast-paced and often uncertain environment, contributing to innovative solutions, while demonstrating personal and team leadership, technical competence, and attention to detail. A willingness to branch outside your comfort zone is essential… we’re a small fast-paced company and everyone pitches in when needed. This is an opportunity to get in near the ground floor of an expanding space launch start up and have a direct impact on the development and production of a completely new space launch vehicle.
Up to 10%
Required Security Clearance
None (ITAR Eligible)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure proper cross-system integration of launch vehicle and grounds support equipment subsystem designs to meet program objectives
- Refine and document system and subsystem requirements and ensure they are consistent with schedule, risk profile and business plan program constraints.
- Oversee launch vehicle certification activities and analyses.
- Support development of launch operations training simulations and procedural development.
- Develop, in collaboration with team members, interface specifications, CONOPS definition, and other design documents.
- Coordinate the integration and documentation of program/project level requirements through the development, test, production, and flight of assigned systems and/or payloads.
- Work with technical leads to identify potential design risks, develop and implement mitigation strategies.
- Performs other duties as required.
- BSci in a relevant engineering discipline plus at least 10 years relevant experience.
- Relevant advanced degrees may be considered in lieu of some years of experience.
- Direct experience with systems engineering for space launch vehicles.
- Detailed expertise in developing, managing, and decomposing requirements.
- Demonstrated familiarity in system architecture, CONOPs, or model-based system engineering.
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary design and development teams.
- In-depth skills in time management, team building, conflict resolution, communication and strategic thinking.
- Ability to think outside-the-box, explore multiple options, anticipate problems, and implement mitigations.
- Strong technical writing skills, including technical review and operations product development.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office applications and data base systems.
- Willingness to work flexible hours as necessary
- US Person as defined in 22 CRF Part 120.15 (U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, refugees and those given asylum in the United States, and temporary residents granted amnesty) since work includes ITAR controlled technical data
Preferred Skills and Education
- Prior experience with systems engineering for small space launch vehicles
- Prior experience with launch vehicle ground support systems
- Demonstrated configuration management expertise
- System Safety analysis experience including Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis, and Functional Hazard Analysis
- Ability to communicate technical information effectively to multiple audiences.
- Working knowledge of hybrid rocket engine concepts and practice.