ispace EUROPE, based in Luxembourg, is seeking a talented and dynamic Senior Mechanical Engineer to join its team.
The vision of ispace is to expand and sustain humanity’s presence in space by developing a lunar economy built on the resources available on the Moon.
ispace EUROPE is the regional office of ispace inc., a Japanese Space company. We are creating the first lunar resource exploration service by developing ispace’s next generation rover that will prospect for lunar water and other resources. We are a small team, motivated by the challenges of the Lunar Frontier, and determined to achieve the company’s vision.
We invite you to join us on this exciting and once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be a key part of expanding human life into outer space and establishing a new reality where the Earth and the Moon are part of one ecosystem.
The position will be based in Luxembourg and will report to the EU Managing Director. It will closely collaborate with ispace EUROPE’s team members.
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer at ispace, you will be responsible for design development, validation, and verification against requirements of the mechanical systems associated with our lunar rovers and flight support hardware, payloads, test models, testing equipment, etc.
The position will require a high level of understanding of the main engineering principles, steps and processes involved in the design development, including numerical analysis, manufacture, assembly and verification of mechanical space systems, especially system level testing and subsequent correlation with modelling.
Other engineering disciplines closely related to this position include the thermal and mechanical modelling and analysis of structures for space applications, management of interfaces and support to critical system trade-offs.
The ideal candidate is capable of interacting with colleagues across engineering disciplines, acting as a technical lead for a complex mechanical space system, for executing system level testing, and for leading the resolution of issues and non-conformances related to manufacture and integration.
In addition to coordinating the design development of space structures for space applications, you will also be responsible for integration activities and will support thermo-mechanical testing of critical hardware systems. While mechanically focused, your role will involve working closely with the Thermal, Electrical, RF, Software, and Systems teams.
Given that ispace Europe is a start-up company, the Senior Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for overall coordination of aspects of the mechanical engineering work, while ensuring compatibility with the thermal and other aspects of the system design. Some key responsibilities will be as follows
- Perform detailed design development, interfacing with systems, harness, software, and electrical/RF engineering teams to inform the mechanical design and layout of spacecraft and payload, while paying careful consideration to the manufacturability and integrability of the resulting design.
- Perform finite element modeling of spacecraft/payload hardware (including MGSE for use on ground), including reviewing test data and correlating models accordingly.
- Coordinate spacecraft/payload integration, testing, and delivery to launch, including preparing and executing procedures and specifications, leading technical interactions with spacecraft bus partners/vendors.
- In collaboration with the Lead Systems Engineer, design and plan mechanical testing configurations
- Support the development and maintenance of technical documentation for payload/spacecraft mechanical design, development and verification.
- Manage and execute on design tasks from concept to product implementation.
- Understand, plan, and execute technical activities in accordance with ispace policies, procedures, and work instructions and specific customer requirements.
- Originate specifications, control documents, verification and validation plans, procedures, reports, or other documentation in support of design and development activities.
- Work with other engineers to implement operating procedures, resolve system issues and provide technical information.
- Prepare material for, and support, periodic design reviews.
- Ensure conformance of products with engineering design and performance specifications.
- Execute engineering design and development activities consistent with quality, cost, and schedule considerations.
- Oversee subcontractors and vendors, providing technical direction and reviewing deliverables, including problem solving in the case of non-conformances, and suggesting and approving corrective work where necessary
What You Need to be Successful
- A Master's degree in mechanical engineering or a related technical discipline: in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering (Electrical Engineering or Physics may also apply).
- 12 years or more of experience in a similar position.
- Experience working on the design, analysis, integration, and test of space hardware.
- Exposure to manufacturing and fabrication methods/tools and how they are driven by early design choices. Machine shop exposure is highly desired.
- Familiarity with fiber reinforced polymer composites
- Work within integrated, multi-discipline teams
- Proficient in the use of Finite Element Modelling software for analysis and post-test correlation
How You Can Stand Out
· Background in the Aerospace and Defense Industry
· Knowledge of industry-standard mechanical design principles, to include, but not limited to parametric design, model-based definition, and material hardware selection
· Knowledge of industry-standard mechanical AIT processes, to include, but not limited to manufacturing, production processes, mechanical test (quasi-static, shock, vibration, life, thermal cycling, TVAC and functional testing), verification documentation
· Good verbal and written communication skills
· Analytical and problem-solving skills
· High personal standards of excellence and ethics, as well as the ability to act with discretion and sensitivity
· Desire to in be a role that will growth and develop over time
· Fluency in English (verbal and written) is mandatory
Should you be interested in this position, please submit your resume and cover letter.