Virgin Galactic, www.VirginGalactic.com (SPCE:NYSE), recognizes that the answers to many of the challenges we face in sustaining life on our beautiful but fragile planet, lie in making better use of space. Sending people to space has not only expanded our understanding of science, but taught us amazing things about human ingenuity, physiology and psychology. From space, we are able to look with a new perspective both outward and back. From space, the borders that are fought over on Earth are arbitrary lines. From space, it is clear that there is much more that unites us than divides us.
“We are at the vanguard of a new industry determined to pioneer twenty-first century spacecraft, which will open space to everybody — and change the world for good.” Sir Richard Branson, Founder, Virgin GalacticYour Mission at Virgin Galactic
This Platform Operations Lead Engineer will lead a team of multi-functional operation engineers in the daily execution of on-boarding, transitioning, change management, flight testing, maintenance and vehicle operations; will provide project task priorities and schedule planning, will provide direction in modifications management and issues resolution of the platform vehicles and its applicable GSE. Qualified candidates should have a strong technical background in aerospace or aviation operations, mechanical systems, structures and avionics / electrical systems, as well as composites and/or aviation/aerospace ground support equipment and have the ability to communicate business goals and objectives in support of vehicle platform operational requirements. In any of these roles, the person in this position may be asked to provide day to day direction to operations technicians.Job Responsibilities
What You Bring
- Leads the platform vehicle configuration baselining and transition activities.
- Manages the day to day change implementation, testing, integration and operations of the platform vehicle and associated Ground Support Equipment.
- Work closely with VG Program management, maintenance, quality, and engineering to maintain platform vehicle/GSE functionality and to improve systems, processes, and operations.
- Manage the platform vehicle project plan and provide project task priorities and coordinate the engineering activities and resource requirements with operations teams.
- Track, manage and mitigate the platform vehicle risks.
- Ensure all engineering and operational requirements are met for platform vehicle.
- Perform root cause and correction actions for identified issues.
- Provide day to day project planning, budget control and implementation in support platform vehicle operational requirements.
- Lead engineers on modifications/repairs and/or change proposals for the platform vehicle.
- Manage change requirements for the Platform MPD. Track platform NRIs, DDs, and Change requirements.
- Identify, assess and mitigate project risks associated with platform vehicles.
- Develop action plans to respond to and resolve issues/problems.
- Review and propose concepts for redesign recommendations based on operational experience, reliability, maintainability, etc.
- Maintain Platform Spares List and make the recommend adjustments/changes to reflect operational requirements.
- Review and approve technical publications. Propose modifications where appropriate. Includes:
- Review and approve repair manuals for platform vehicle. May author portions as appropriate.
- Approve and/or review disposition for component removals and replacements.
- Author and/or approve vehicle anomaly troubleshooting dispositions.
- Author and/or approve Work Instructions/Engineering Reports.
- Track and coordinate engineering project tasks and metrics associated with platform vehicle.
- Integrate analysis of tear down and failure reports for failed vendor components (if available)
- Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering, with 5+ years relevant industry experience.
- Successful aviation/aerospace project or technical lead experience is preferred.
- Working knowledge of aircraft and space systems and familiarity with relevant aerospace standards (FAA, FAA‐AST etc.).
- 5+ years of experience with aerospace structures, vehicle systems, or operations desired and 1+ year of experience leading technical projects and/or cross-functional teams.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with high attention to detail.
- Ground and flight-testing experience of vehicle systems is desirable.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Strong IT skills, including Excel and Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) tools. Computer Aided Design (CAD) experience is desirable.
- Applicants must be U.S. persons as defined by the ITAR (22 CFR
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR
- 120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. teammates, as well as newly hired employees. As of October 1, 2021, all new hires must be able to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against the COVID-19virus, (“fully vaccinated” means at least two week have expired since receiving the vaccination’s last dose as recommended by the manufacturer) or have a valid religious or medical exemption. If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met be your date of hire. Virgin Galactic complies with federal, state, and local laws with regard to accommodations related to this policy.