Senior Mechanical Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Capella is at the forefront of making vital information about our world accessible in a timely manner. We’re leveraging proven technologies and building new capabilities to create a constellation of SAR satellites that can collect information about any spot on the planet within an hour.
At Capella you’ll work in a collaborative team environment, alongside smart people with a history of space mission success. No prior space experience is needed—we’re looking for people excited about tackling seemingly impossible challenges, learning new skills and concepts, and helping each other achieve success.
Our mission and our products are meant to understand the whole world and help everyone in it, regardless of race, creed, or any other distinction. We believe in a diverse and inclusive workplace, and we encourage all people to join our team and bring their unique perspective to help make us stronger.
We value diversity at Capella and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
About the Role/ Job Description
The Senior Mechanical Engineering team at Capella is responsible for designing and building all types of awesome hardware from test fixtures to full satellites. We are support the full design life cycle starting from requirement definition all the way to product delivery.
As a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, you will be assisting in the design of our next generation satellites and everything in between to get us to space. Your responsibilities will include (but not be limited to):
- Requirement definition
- Concept layout
- Product design with CAD
- Stress analysis
- Creating drawings for fabrication
- Assisting in procurement and production
- Hands-on integration building prototypes
- Hands-on integration building flight hardware
- Environmental verification testing
You will be leaned upon to help across different departments. Design work will vary anywhere from ground support fixturing, to electronic sub assembly packaging, to full satellite layout. Good communication is a must as you will be working with many different teams and vendors to come up with designs that satisfy system level requirements and take us to the next level.
- B.S. or M.S. in Mechanical Engineering plus 3+ years of related experience
- Experience with Solidworks CAD Software
- Experience creating manufacturing drawings with good knowledge of GD&T.
- Strong understanding of thermal and power systems.
- Good communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Desired Qualifications:
- Experience with spacecraft design and validation
- Experience with ISO grid or composite sandwiched structural panels
- Experience with Electronic packaging including harness routing layout and design
- Experience with ARAS PLM/PDM systems.
- Experience with FEA using NASTRAN or similar software
- Familiarity with NASA / MIL-STD processes and how to handle flight hardware.
- Familiarity working in a clean room environment and abiding by clean practices.
Required Qualifications (optional-dependent of the requirements):
- This position requires special access to conduct the work and requires the selected candidate to be a US Citizen or Green Card holder.
In addition to an opportunity to take part in an innovative and fast-growing business with a highly motivated and skilled team, we also take pride in taking care of our employees. Here are just a few ways that we show our appreciation
- Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance
- Medical and Dependent Care Flex Spending
- Short and Long Term Disability and Life Insurance
- FSA and HSA
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible PTO
- Gourmet-style, Daily Lunch
- Capella Community Events
- Commuter and Parking benefits
- Dog-friendly Work Environment (SF)
- Cell and Internet Monthly Stipend
All team members at Capella Space must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to help ensure the safety our community.
The definition of fully vaccinated is subject to change (may include boosters).
- Accommodation requests based on medical or religious reasons will be reviewed on a case by case basis.