For those who dream of advancing our space in the Universe and on Earth, we’ll take you there.
Serving the world from our Canadian home and our global offices, MDA is an international space mission partner and robotics & space operations, satellite systems and geointelligence pioneer with a 50-year story of firsts on and above the Earth. Today, we're leading the charge towards viable Moon colonies, enhanced Earth observation, communication in a hyper-connected world, and more.
We’re fueled by a pioneering spirit that carries us beyond. And together we enable highly skilled people to continually push boundaries and tackle big challenges requiring solutions that endure and inspire.
Are you ready to launch the next stage of your career in the new space economy? We would love to hear from you!
We’re on the hunt for an Opto-Mechanical Technologist
on our Robotics and Space Operations
team at our Kanata
With 40 years of operational experience and proven performance on the iconic Canadarm programs including Space Shuttle and International Space Station robotics and operations support, our Robotics & Space Operations team has 100% mission success in making space dreams come true. As our Opto-Mechanical Technician/Technologist, you will provides support to engineering and manufacturing in the assembly, integration and test of MDA Vision Systems and Sensors products. Responsibilities include system optical alignment, assembly, testing, troubleshooting, calibration, configuration, system and integration.
Being a dynamic position means that the workdays are always evolving, challenging and motivating. This position will appeal to a well-organized person, who is detail-oriented and who enjoys working as part of a multidisciplinary team to deliver excellent service. If you are that person, then this may be the perfect role for you!
How You Will Contribute
- Prepare engineering, prototype and/or demonstration systems for demonstration and/or delivery
- Prepare, review and revise acceptance and checkout test procedures for deliverable hardware
- Develop production, assembly and parts list drawings
- Perform integration and testing activities on breadboard, prototype, engineering and production hardware and software
- Integrate mechanical and optical assemblies including bonding of optical mirrors and prisms
- Perform alignment of optical assemblies
- Conduct acceptance and checkout procedures on deliverable hardware
- Ensure completeness of documentation for mechanical and electrical assemblies
- Design and document test fixtures, and test setups
- Collaborate with engineering disciplines, other technologists and assembly personnel
- Maintain records of all test data, inspections and daily activities
- Perform general technical, engineering and lab duties as required
- Familiarity with mechanical assembly procedures and tools including; torque wrenches, 3D printers, basic metalworking tools, measuring instruments, etc.
- Knowledge and familiarity with a broad range of electrical lab and test equipment and tools such as oscilloscopes, multi-meters, cameras, basic laser test equipment, PC’s, power supplies, etc.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- CAD and SolidWorks expertise
- Experience working in a multidisciplinary engineering/manufacturing environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Curiosity is encouraged
- Experience with optical subassemblies and/or optical mirrors and prisms would be considered an asset
- Previous experience or desire to manage a lab environment would be considered an asset
- Previous experience or desire to be responsible for facilities management would be considered an asset
- Minimum associates degree in technology or similar field and 5 plus years of engineering design experience or a bachelor’s degree in engineering technology or similar. Degree from an ABET accredited college or university desired.
We’re a dream team of purpose-driven, collaborative and passionate people, and we are constantly looking for others to join #TeamMDA to ignite new and innovative approaches to problem-solving that push us forward to improve life on and above Earth. If you’re excited to expand our place in space and driven to inspire the next generation, we’ll take you there.
We have entered a new era of exploration and development, and MDA welcomes all who yearn to suit up and be part of it. An equal opportunity employer prizing diversity, integrity and collaboration, we are committed to growing MDA’s and Canada’s leadership in this next golden age.
Successful candidates must obtain and hold security clearance at the reliability status level, and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program (CGP) and ITAR.
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at all locations. As a team member of MDA, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection through competitive health care including; extended healthcare and flexible drug plans, dental and vision benefits, disability income protection, life insurance, group retirement savings plans; and an employee and family assistance program.
Equal Opportunity Statement
MDA is an equal opportunity employer prizing diversity and inclusion. We are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity. If you require assistance and/or reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please feel free to notify us.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: Strengthening our workforce is more important than ever to meet our customers’ mission-critical needs. We are continuing to hire many talented people, and we are closely monitoring COVID-19 to ensure safe hiring practices are used. This includes limiting onsite candidate interviews and prioritizing video interviews.