Long Beach, CABonus
Full-TimeWho We Are
At Virgin Orbit, we are launching the small satellite revolution, enabling missions that were previously unimaginable. We are delivering Virgin’s legendary customer experience by combining advanced technology with a diligent, hard-working team. We have built a workplace and a workforce of the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today are launching the industries of tomorrow. We have engaged a diverse and inclusive community of doers and dreamers alike, empowering all those working today to build satellites and constellations that will change the world.
At Virgin Orbit, we are opening space for good. Search all of our job openings on our career portal .
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a new member for our team to serve as a Senior Launch Software Engineer
. If you join us in this position, you will assist in the design, development, and deployment of our launch software used for operation of the LauncherOne small satellite launch program. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills.
This is a full-time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California . Your Mission
What You Bring
- Develop software used for a variety of launch related activities including simulation, operational training and launch operations activities. Software tasks will range from maintenance of existing systems to supporting software architecture evolution and validation.
- Support via design and review process launch infrastructure such as data acquisition systems, instrument communication protocols, etc.
- Collaborate with team members of other departments to gather requirements, and address questions related to the launch software and process.
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members
- Perform other duties as assigned
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too.
- B.S. Degree in STEM with 5+ years of experience in a Software Engineering role or equivalent years of experience within a similar role
- Expert in LabVIEW software development (CLA level/equivalent experience)
- Proficient with object oriented design patterns
- Proficient with automated unit testing
- Expert in debugging and trouble-shooting techniques
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness
- Must be able to provide proof of US-approved Covid-19 full vaccination status, unless otherwise exempted by an approved reasonable medical or religious accommodation from Virgin Orbit.
- Proficient with Python
- Experience working with software style guides and standards
- Experience conducting code reviews
- Experience with pair programming
- Experience with directing individuals with technical tasks
- Experience with IT infrastructure support
- Experience with Jenkins and Docker
- Knowledge of embedded systems design
- Experience in production environment following agile practices and light weight software development methods
- Proficient in the usage of a collaborative version control system, such as git and stash, in a team development environment
- Experience in using issue tracking systems such as Jira
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR
- 120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. Stay in touch with the latest news and updates from Virgin Orbit by following us on:
YouTube Twitter Instagram Facebook LinkedIn
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.