New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
Will be a Systems Engineer in Engineering Operations for Surface Missions Group (397S). The candidate will support the MSL and/or M20 Systems Engineering Uplink and Downlink functions. During tactical shifts, will analyze the downlink data associated with spacecraft, maintaining rover health and safety. Will develop strategic ground tools for improved capability and automation within the domain. Will also validate rover activities in the Testbed. Will also test new software patches and perform regression testing. Will utilize system engineering skills to understand how the rover will behave during critical activities.
- Partners with other specialists to accomplish complex system engineering tasks.
- Performs complex and varied job functions and activities within flight systems engineering.
- Adapts complex technical models to create improved products.
- Regular use of creativity and innovation to address important issues.
- Exercises discretion and independent judgment in evaluating potential approaches and solutions to significant problems and determining appropriate resolutions.
- Interactions normally involve exchanging and validating comprehensive and analytical information.
- Contributes as a vital team member on teams inside or outside own organization, project, activity or function.
- Works independently on important assignments and projects with only limited supervision, typically receiving only general instructions.
- Bachelors degree in Engineering or related technical discipline with typically a minimum of 3 years of related experience; Masters degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 1 year of related experience.
- Extensive knowledge in one or more of the following areas: Aerospace Engineering, System Engineering, mission systems and mission system processes and procedures.
- Extensive understanding and wide application of advanced principles, theories, concepts and techniques in spacecraft system engineering.
- Training or experience with standard system engineering methodologies and tools.
- Strong analytical ability, initiative, and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations across a range of applications.
- Knowledge of space flight engineering systems and subsystems.
- Hands-on experience with Testbed testing.
- Experience in performing the system engineering function, and the ability to apply lessons learned to the flight team.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by Federal, state or local law.
In addition, JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
EEO is the Law.
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available here.