Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
Stratolaunch is seeking a Sr. Avionics Engineer
to complete the development of the Carrier Aircraft avionics and instrumentation systems. This position will focus on both the development of new airborne support equipment design from concept to execution & upgrade of legacy Carrier Aircraft avionics systems.
As an Avionics Engineer, you will be responsible for the end-to-end execution of projects often beginning at problem statement and ending with test verification via control room or other hands-on test method, including all steps in between. You’ll rapidly create solutions, test prototypes, liaison modifications, and lead testing when complete. You’ll be supported by the larger Carrier Aircraft team through this effort while still retaining creative control of the upgrade.
- Lead & execute Airborne Support Equipment (ASE) avionics projects within the Carrier Aircraft team.
- Lead & execute aircraft avionics projects within the Carrier Aircraft team.
- Evaluate requirement needs or problem statements and propose solutions
- Evaluate both technical and programmatic risk for potential solutions
- Perform detail design, procure parts, advocate design through review process, document design
- Execute project ranging from procurement, detail technician direction, aircraft configuration control
- Test project as required, lead testing, evaluate data and hold closeout reviews
- Prepare project for flight and brief status at Flight Readiness Reviews and other similar events
- Provide technical guidance for projects within the larger program
- Develop engineering tools, as needed, to complete tasking
- Contribute to the integration of complex aerospace systems
- Travel, as needed, to support projects
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of and experience with one or more of these disciplines: software engineering, avionics engineering, electrical engineering, aircraft and/or launch vehicle integration
- Experience with requirements development, with a focus on interface management
- Excellent written communication
- Experience with risk management
- Ability to communicate technical challenges and provide interface guidance to varied audiences
- Ability to work on their own initiative and prioritize tasking to fit within the business goals
- Complex aerospace system development
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Visio)
- Engineering software tools
- Configuration management systems
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 8-plus years of relevant experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Aircraft and/or launch vehicle development experience
- Fluency in C++, Python, and LabVIEW programming languages
- Embedded software
- Automated testing experience
- Experience with air-launch programs
- Security clearance
- Hands-on build experience
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
Benefits and our location:
- This position is located in Mojave, CA
- Some travel (<10%) may be required
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Skiers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts.
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave up to 16 weeks
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement for continued education
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.
Applicants must be a US citizen or Green Card holder to be considered for this role.
Stratolaunch is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law:
Job Category: Engineering