Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
As the Payload Integration Engineer, you will serve as the primary technical point of contact for integration of customer payloads with the Talon-A hypersonic vehicle, mating to the carrier aircraft pylon, air-launch, and hypersonic flight. You will support new business proposals from initial requirements, validation, and verification through mission design, prototype development, and test. You will work directly with a small team of subject matter experts from diverse fields to quickly iterate on flyable solutions and ensure they meet all customer needs. With a focus on payload interfaces, you will support the interaction between Stratolaunch and customer hardware, software, and operational products.
- Distill customer requirements into actionable development objectives
- Collaborate with other subsystem representatives across team boundaries to consider all necessary trades and ensure end-to-end mission success
- Support all phases of development from initial proposal development through successful payload integration and checkout, through hypersonic flight.
- Work with all internal and external stakeholders to drive payload integration development
- Assist with the creation and maintenance of project master schedules and regularly report modifications to the customer
- Help lead all customer reviews and ensure that contract deliverables are delivered on time and to the customer's expectations
- Contribute to risk evaluations for Air Launch programs
- Contribute to obtaining permits and regulatory approval for Air Launch projects
- Evaluate risks and risk mitigation plans to determine if the risks are appropriate and risk mitigations are adequate
- Travel, as needed, to support the company
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a DOD Secret or Top Secret Clearance within a reasonable period of time, as determined by the company to meet its business needs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, one or more of these disciplines: large aerospace technical management, structural design, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, sub-contracts and procurement, personnel management, aircraft systems, aircraft operations, rocket vehicle integration, ground systems, payload interfaces, and functional testing
- Experience with flight test and passion for advancing hypersonic test capabilities
- Experience with technical aerospace leadership, including working with sub-contractors
- Experience with risk management
- Facilitation skills and ability to communicate technical challenges and guidance to varied audiences to gain support or resolve concerns
- Ability to work on their own initiative and prioritize tasking to fit within the business goals
- Complex aerospace system development
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to obtain/maintain security clearance.
- Experience with government agencies
- Experience with air-launch programs
- Experience with hypersonic programs
- Experience in hypersonic vehicle development and operation, more specifically experience in the hypersonic Mach regime in at least one of the following areas:
- Flight sciences (aerodynamics, stability and control, and/or flight dynamics)
- Communication and telemetry
- Radar and/or optical sensors
- High temperature materials and integration, more specifically:
- Materials exposed to the windward side of the vehicle
- Mechanical attachment to the underlying structure
- Integration of supersonic/hypersonic inlets and flow paths
Required Computer Skills
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- MS Project
- Project management tools
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from accredited institution and 7-plus years of relevant experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience including:
- 2+ years of technical project management experience
- 2+ years of systems-level engineering experience
- 3+ years hand-on experience with hardware or software
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- Travel estimated to be approximately 10+%
- Position is based in Mojave, CA
Benefits and our location:
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave up to 16 weeks
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement for continued education
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Skiers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts.
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.
Applicants must be a US citizen or Green Card holder to be considered for this role.
Stratolaunch is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law:
Job Category: Program Management