Stratolaunch is developing an air-launch platform to contribute to high-speed research and development. The goal of Stratolaunch is to use the air-launch platform for enabling technologies that may not exist otherwise. Stratolaunch has the potential for creating technology development opportunities for commercial, philanthropic and governmental organizations to collect rich and actionable data and drive advancements in science, research, and technology.
To achieve these great efforts, Stratolaunch needs a Staff GNC Engineer to participate in the development of the hypersonic flight control system.
As a Staff GNC Engineer, you will have ownership of GNC algorithms that contribute to the development and flight of the hypersonic research vehicle. You will be considered a subject matter expert and will contribute to the design, development, meeting requirements, performing verification activities, and test execution for the hypersonic vehicle flight control system. This position will include evaluation of a broad range of technical data.
This position is based in Mojave, CA. Candidates must have strong controls and aircraft development background.
- Development and evaluation of advanced algorithms to satisfy Guidance, Navigation, and Control requirements
- Development of hypersonic dynamic truth modeling and analysis tools
- Creation of Algorithm Description Documents (ADDs) to document GNC designs
- Perform analysis to verify algorithm designs meet requirements
- Contributions to aspects of the overall flight control system design, development, implementation, integration, and test
- Development of engineering tools, as needed, to complete the tasking
- Mentor junior engineers in various areas of GNC
- Regular and comprehensive communication to the Vehicle Management System and GNC Leads
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity, and fulfillment of commitments
- Travel, as needed, to support the department
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Fundamental knowledge and understanding of flight dynamics
- Must demonstrate the ability to perform combinations of the Essential Responsibilities
- Ability to work on their own initiative and prioritize tasking to fit within the business goals
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to communicate technical challenges and guidance to varied audiences to explain rationale and/or resolve concerns
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD security clearance
- Guidance algorithm synthesis, implementation, and analysis
- Aircraft, missile, and/or launch vehicle development experience
- Control, autopilot design and analysis
- Dynamic system modeling of fixed wing, missile, and/or hypersonic vehicles
- Flight control algorithm requirements development, design, implementation, integration, test, and post-flight analysis
- Advanced degree with technical focus in GNC relevant areas
- TS/SCI security clearance
Required Computer Skills
- Proficient with Matlab and Simulink tools
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 10-plus years of relevant experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
Applicants must be a US citizen or Green Card holder to be considered for this role.
- Travel estimated to be approximately <5%
- Position is based in Mojave, CA
Stratolaunch is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law:
Job Category: Engineering