Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
The Purchasing Agent works closely with purchasing managers and leads for the evaluation, negotiation, and placement of purchase orders with suppliers to support the business. The position interacts across multiple functions within the organization and requires strong communication and prioritization skills.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage sub-contractors and vendors, working with them to understand the latest delivery timelines and recovering any potential schedule delays;
- Maintaining communication and building relationships with significant sub-contractors and suppliers, ensuring on-time product delivery
- Write statements of work for various Stratolaunch sub-contractors and vendors
- Work with Engineering, Operations, and Programs to modify existing statements of work
- Conducts supplier assessments and reviews current and projected work statement to support procurement strategies and contractual compliance.
- Evaluates elements of recovery, corrective and preventative action plans.
- Provides data to support the communication of supplier performance plans, risks, issues and opportunities.
General/Soft Skills Needed
- Provides technical and business support to meet supplier performance targets. Nimbleness and flexibility to adjust to change and adapt to the organization’s needs.
- Inspires innovative thoughts and use rational and logical reasoning to solve difficult problems.
- Identifies and recommends process changes that improve efficiencies and meet evolving business needs.
- Demonstrates honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments.
- Works well independently and in a team environment.
- Effectively communicates, both written and oral, across all departments within the company.
- Adapts to ad-hoc projects, as assigned.
- Has a resourceful attitude.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prior supplier management experience as a Buyer, Buyer’s agent, program manager.
- Strong communication skills, both written form and oral, to both external and internal customers.
- Results driven, proactive and organized.
- Experience working independently and in teams.
- Ability to pick up new tasks and learn quickly in a fast paced environment.
- A sense of urgency is necessary while maintaining diplomacy, direction and focus.
- Experience working in both a Commercial and FAR/Government contracts industry
- Experience in vendor management
- Experience in contract management
- Program or project management experience
- Passion for space exploration and a belief in commercial, routine, and affordable access to space
Required Computer Skills
- MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook SharePoint)
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited institution and one to three years’ relevant experience within a Supplier Management Department, or equivalent combination of education and experience
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- This position is located in Mojave, CA
Benefits and our location:
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave up to 16 weeks
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement for continued education
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Skiers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts.
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.
Applicants must be a US citizen or Green Card holder to be considered for this role.
Stratolaunch is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law:
Job Category: Contracts and Compliance