Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About The Role
The Federal Proposal Manager will lead the development and submission of solicited and unsolicited Federal Government responses and proposals, win wire preparation, and vendor registration management in support of the broader Planet Federal Sales and Business Development teams. For this role, you can translate your expertise in these areas into world class and timely responses to the US Government solicitations (BAAs and RFx), content development, reporting, and sales enablement materials. You will collaborate across our sales, finance, operations, legal, product, engineering, and program management teams to develop compliant and compelling proposals and customer facing documentation.
As part of the global Sales Operations team, the Federal Proposal Manager will be a creative thinker and problem solver with strong interpersonal skills, allowing them to navigate the broader customer lifecycle process while maintaining a strong and productive rapport with the Planet Federal Sales and Business Development teams. The Federal Proposal Manager may also supervise and lead additional proposal support personnel as the team grows.
The key responsibilities include writing, editing, and formatting responses to solicited and unsolicited requests (BAAs, RFx, Task Orders, etc.); coordinating win wire preparation; and managing the vendor registration process for the US Government customers, including the Intelligence Community (IC), Department of Defense (DoD), and Federal Civilian agencies. You will drive content development and management, proposal process improvements, and proposal training. In addition, you will work with Sales and Technical SMEs to articulate Planet product features and benefits to customers.
Impact You’ll Own
- Work with Sales, Business Development and other teams to develop, manage and drive proposal and other response generation, customer facing documentation and enablement materials
- Own, monitor, and support opportunity tracking and bid/no bid process (including leading or participating in any required capture and color team reviews)
- Manage progress of proposal development and preparation activities to identify and actively mitigate any blocking actions
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders (Sales, Product, Legal, Finance, Compliance) to ensure that all responses and proposals align with Planet strategies and guidelines
- Ensure 100% on time submittal of compliant and compelling responses on all assigned opportunities
- Schedule and conduct RFx/proposal lessons learned sessions and debriefs with internal and external stakeholders
- Support GSA schedule maintenance and updates
- Become a go-to resource for Sales with regards to up-to-date sales content, vendor registration process, and win wire process
- Build and maintain strong relationships with Sales, Product, Marketing, Legal, Finance, Compliance, and Engineering teams
What You Bring
- 5 - 7 years experience in Federal government proposal and/or grants management, project management, technical writing, or business strategy and development
- Experience analyzing RFx requirements, developing compliance matrices, and managing proposal schedules, gate reviews, and lessons learned sessions
- Experience in understanding customer requirements and translating those into win
- Familiarity and experience with various contract vehicle types (FFP, CPFF, CPAF, etc.)
- Exceptional knowledge of the Federal Acquisition lifecycle (including agency specific rules, regulations, processes, and evaluation criteria for offerors)
- Experience collaborating and communicating with Executive level decision makers
- Flexibility and willingness to step outside of traditional roles as needed in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with RFx Response Management Software, e.g. Loopio or RFPIO
- Advanced knowledge in the use of content development tools including Google Workspace, Microsoft Office, and Adobe products
- Familiarity with CRM tracking, reports, and dashboards
- Experience working with cloud storage, imagery or with geographical information systems
- Experience supporting geographically diverse teams and customers
- Must have the ability to multitask and meet short timelines/deadlines; at times have the ability to work non-traditional hours, weekends, and holidays to meet proposal deadlines and support global team while focusing on details
- An active security clearance, or the ability to obtain one, at the Top Secret level or higher
What Makes You Stand Out
- Familiarity with and/or experience supporting geospatial, commercial space, and/or satellite remote sensing customer and products
- Experience managing complex Federal government, academic, and/or enterprise level proposals and use cases (including solicitation types and federal source selection)
- Working knowledge of Government and Prime Contractor standard forms
- Graphic design and development experience
- Large-scale project management experience
- APMP certification
Benefits While Working At Planet
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why We Care So Much About Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.