Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About The Role
The Search team at Planet is seeking a new Engineering Manager to better enable access to Planet’s valuable data sets. The Search team enables Planet customers scalable and contextually relevant access to our data through a variety of APIs and applications. Our tech stack consists of Python, GoLang, PostgreSQL, BigTable, Elasticsearch, and Kubernetes running on Google’s Cloud. The ideal candidate will be able to apply sound engineering principles, operational discipline, and a strong customer focus to our services.
Impact You’ll Own
- Lead a team of software engineers, including task planning and code reviews.
- Take ownership for the overall planning, execution and success of sophisticated technical projects.
- Represent your team in cross-functional interactions, such as vetting out product requirements with internal customers, discussing software architecture in the Software Architecture Group as well as managing technical dependencies with other engineering leads.
- Think critically about the long-term career development of team members, providing regular performance feedback and mentoring.
- Conduct regular check-ins and 1-1s with team members.
- Own the operation of these services by measuring performance, creating alerts, runbooks, and responding to incidents and performance anomalies.
- Contribute technically to projects by being a hands-on coder and technical resource as necessary and removing roadblocks. In this role you may code up to 50% of your time.
What You Bring
- 5+ years of industry experience, including 2+ years as a manager responsible for software engineers, and at least 4 years of hands-on experience as a software engineer.
- Have a track record of leading teams to deliver highly available, consistently performant services.
- Have experience with shared codebases and modern CI/CD workflows like GitLab CI and Docker.
- Have programming experience and experience building large scale RESTful APIs
- Experience working with modern relational and non-relational data stores such as BigTable, Cassandra, or Postgres.
What Makes You Stand Out
- Have experience building services that leverage cloud-based infrastructure and tooling such as AWS or GCP
- Experience writing production code in Python and/or GoLang.
- Understanding of geospatial data.
Benefits While Working At Planet
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why We Care So Much About Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Compensation (only Applicable For Colorado Applicants)
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $116,100 - $187,200. This role is eligible for equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.