Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About The Role
Planet is looking for a strategic product marketer to help grow the market for Planet’s data and platform, and enable business expansion by operationalizing go-to-market strategies across industries and countries. You will be part of the marketing team, sitting within the dynamic Product & Solutions Marketing group.
This product marketer will be embedded in broad cross-functional, go-to-market initiatives that ultimately drive revenue for Planet’s high-resolution data products. Responsibilities include engaging with customers, partners, and internal stakeholders, leading product launch activities, building messaging and positioning, and synthesizing market trends and new use cases that Planet products can address.
You will work closely with the Product organization in defining customer & partner challenges and providing input to the roadmap for new features that address critical unmet needs. You will work closely with the Commercial organization to ensure “field readiness,” determine effective engagement strategies and arming them with the right messaging, content, and competitive insights.
To be successful in this role, you will bring a clear perspective on how to bring new geospatial data-as-a-service (DaaS) and enterprise software products to an evolving market, with a detailed understanding of how to develop buyer and user personas and the stages of their buying journey. An attention to detail and an eye for high quality are critical to your success, along with an ability to articulate our products’ differentiated value in ways that resonate with our audiences in different industries. This role is expected to routinely present at external conferences, events, and webinars, and should be adept at public speaking and evangelizing Planet’s mission and products.
Impact You’ll Own
- Deeply understand the geospatial data and analytics market, where Planet fits; identify opportunities for market expansion and assess gaps.
- Support Planet’s go-to-market initiatives (product launches, solution development, partnerships) and drive execution of deliverables across sales, product, marketing, legal, and operations teams.
- Lead customer betas and feedback workshops to gather market insights.
- Build out and maintain buyer and user personas and develop product value propositions that differentiate Planet offerings in the market.
- Work with Solutions Marketing to identify and assess which partners can complement existing offerings & develop joint marketing plans.
- Collaborate with the product team to produce and update a portfolio of marketing and sales enablement tools (presentations, data sheets, use cases, demos, battlecards).
- Collaborate with technical teams to create interactive demos and narratives that showcase product value to be used for trade shows, industry events, and sales outreach
- Support marketing campaigns with messaging and content that drive sales pipeline.
- Partner closely with other parts of the marketing organization on global and regional programs, including demand generation, digital marketing, field marketing, creative, and communications.
What You Bring
- BA/BS degree
- 3+ years of product marketing experience
- Proven track record positioning products and marketing B2B/enterprise products
- Excellent writing, communication, and presentation skills (to both internal and external audiences)
- Creative and analytical thinking skills
- Experience partnering with product, sales, and executive stakeholders and communicating across leadership
- Be an organized, self-starter with ability to collaborate across departments
- Experience working with an international sales teams is an advantage
Benefits While Working At Planet
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why We Care So Much About Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.