Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to Use Space to Help Life on Earth.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About The Role
The customer platform team is looking for a site reliability engineer who will be responsible for the availability and reliability of production systems that enable customers to get access to Planet’s incredible Earth observation datasets. In this role, you will work with multiple internal teams to operationalize Planet’s software platform, focusing on optimizing service performance and improving observability and instrumentation. Your work will be highly visible and will directly impact the ability of customers to get faster access to Planet’s unprecedented datasets. The ideal candidate would have both SRE and backend software engineering experience and could provide immediate value to the team by hardening existing production systems and contributing to the construction of new applications and services.
Impact You’ll Own
- Increase reliability and availability of production services
- Bolster service monitoring & tracing capabilities
- Improve the ability of the team to respond to production on-call incidents
- Contribute to the future architecture of Planet’s data platform
- Author technical design documents and architectural decision records
- Author runbooks, configure dashboards, automate alerts, and streamline processes
- Mentor junior members of the team
- Help to establish technical best practices
- Participate in team on-call rotation to support production services
What You Bring
- Experience developing and deploying code as Docker containers into a Kubernetes cluster at scale with cloud computing resources (e.g. AWS or GCP)
- Experience with configuring and maintaining service-specific monitoring, alerting, tracing, and dashboards, applying principles like the four golden signals
- Ability to design and streamline backend systems and public-facing APIs
- Curiosity, Innovation, Collaboration
- Passion for improving developer velocity
- Track record of mentorship and growing other engineers
- 6+ years industry experience
What Makes You Stand Out
- Experience working with monitoring tools like Prometheus, InfluxDB, or equivalent
- Experience with GoLang, Python/Flask, PostGreSQL, React & Material UI or related technologies
- Experience with geospatial technologies and data
- Experience tuning uWSGI services to handle production workloads
- Positive attitude, excitement about Planet’s mission
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
Benefits While Working At Planet
- Remote-first work environment
- Comprehensive health plan
- Wellness and mental health programs
- Flexible time off
- Recognition programs
- Commuter benefits
- Learning and tuition reimbursement
- Parental leave for all types of parents
- Offsites and happy hours (virtual for now)
- Volunteering benefits via 1% Pledge
Some Press About Us
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why We Care So Much About Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Compensation (only Applicable For Colorado Applicants)
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $116,100 - $187,200. This role is eligible for equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.