We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
As part of a diverse and hardworking team of engineers, you will contribute to the definition and development of spacecraft thermal control systems. We are looking for thermal engineers of all skill levels
as we expand our portfolio of space vehicles. You should be comfortable working in a fast-paced and often uncertain environment, contributing to innovative solutions, while demonstrating personal leadership, technical competence, and attention to detail.
The Thermal Control System and Design Engineer is an individual contributor of any level within the Design Engineering Section inside the Advanced Development Programs business unit. Our growing suite of projects include Orbital Reef, Lunar landers, space tugs, reentry vehicles. Typical duties are some combination of the following. Perform transient thermal analysis of spacecraft in ground, launch, Earth Orbit, and environments beyond. Perform trade studies relating to selection of material and subsystem hardware. Develop and maintain system analysis documentation. Develop vehicle-level thermal models using SINDA/FLUINT with Thermal Desktop Work closely with systems engineers to develop and verify requirements. Participate in procurement and subsystem and system level environmental test activities. We are building a growing, hardworking, and curious team of Thermal Engineers, where you’ll be deployed to programs that both shape the future of Blue Origin and provide you an exciting career with opportunities for both ownership and advancement.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!Qualifications
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering
- Solid understanding of thermal fundamentals
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Estimated Hourly Wage (Colorado Only)
- Successful candidates typically have 0 to 8+ years of relevant proven experience in design and analysis of aerospace thermal systems
- M.S. degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering
- Experience solving a variety of thermal-fluid problems demonstrating breath in analysis application
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages (e.g., C/C++, FORTRAN, Matlab).
- Depth of experience in one of the following areas:
- Active Thermal Control System design and component procurement
- Passive Thermal Control System design and component procurement
- Thermal hardware such as radiators, Multi-Layer Insulation (MLI), heaters, thermostats, pumps, valves, sensors, thermostats, heat pipes, ablative materials, sublimators, and/or phase change materials
- Thermal analysis, specifically in Thermal Desktop and Sinda/Fluint, including model validation and test correlation
- Thermal Vacuum test planning and execution
- Launch or hypersonic Thermal Protection Systems
The expected salary range for the position is displayed in accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience.
Engineer - Fluid Systems III- $103K- $173KExport Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to receive information on Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.Benefits
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability and 401(k) with up to 5% company match.
Paid Time Off: Provides up to 4 weeks per year, in addition to 14 holidays