What We Do
Loft Orbital builds “shareable” satellites, providing a fast & simple path to orbit for organizations that require access to space. Powered by our hardware & software products, we operate satellites, fly customer payloads onboard, and handle entire missions from end to end - significantly reducing the lead-time and risk of a traditional space mission.
Our standard interface enables us to fly multiple customer payloads on the same satellite, with capabilities such as earth imagery, weather & climate /science data collection, IoT connectivity, in-orbit demonstrations, and national security missions. Our customers trust us to manage their space infrastructure, so they can focus on what matters most to them: operating their mission and collecting their data.
With 2 satellites on-orbit and a wave of exciting missions launching soon, we are scaling up quickly across our offices in San Francisco, CA | Golden, CO | and Toulouse, France.
Wanna join the adventure?
As a member of our Embedded Systems Team, you will be responsible for the firmware design and development on our satellite’s electronic payloads; cutting edge units meant to advance the state of space-as-a-service. Our development pushes the boundaries of in-space compute capabilities, RF communications, software defined payloads, and many other applications. You will join a team of experts in bringing these ideas to reality and launching your work into orbit.
Location: Our preference for this role is for someone to work on-site in our Toulouse office. That being said, we operate as a globally distributed team and realize that sometimes the best candidates can’t realistically relocate. In select cases & for certain roles, we are open to hiring remotely.
*Research shows that while men apply to jobs where they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized people tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications. At Loft, we value respectful debate and people who aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions. We strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t ‘check all the boxes.
What You'll Do:
- Architect, design and write high-quality firmware RTL for the satellite following best practices such as efficiency, maintainability, and testability
- Perform SW/FW/HW integration to provide a fully functional firmware solution
- Develop unit tests, component tests and continuous integration for your firmware
- Perform hands-on board bringup and debugging
There is a good chance you’ll love this job if you have:
- Have a Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent in experience
- Have 5+ years experience writing VHDL embedded applications on FPGAs
- Have In depth knowledge of physical FPGA constraints such as timing, architecture, and interfaces
- Have experience with hardware interfacing and understanding of communication protocols (DMA, SPI, UART, LVDS, Ethernet, SpaceWire)
- Are comfortable with analog and digital hardware circuit design and analysis
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills
- Are scrappy and inventive: what you will be building has never been done before
- Are prepared to be challenged and sometimes work out of your comfort zone
- Have a willingness to be accountable, autonomous, and take full ownership of projects
- Have an ability to work both independently as well as part of a multi-disciplined team
- Have an ability to learn and adapt to new technologies
- Have a demonstrable history of thinking outside-the-box, without losing sight of reality
- Experience with Xilinx or Microsemi SoC
- Experience working with electrical test equipment (logic analyzers, oscilloscopes, etc.)
- Experience with Vivado Block Design, High Level Synthesis or similar RTL abstraction methods
- Experience with digital signal processing and SDR
- Experience with firmware simulation (i.e. ModelSim)
Some of Our Awesome Benefits:
- Equity, we want you to have an active role in our success
- €1,000 onboarding budget, to help you be successful in your work, wherever you’re working from
- 25 Paid Time Off and up to 10 RTT and flexible working hours, we want you to be at your best
- Alan health and life insurance, we care about your health
- Lunch Vouchers with Swile, because let’s be honest, we love food! (we even have a slack channel about it #loft-gourmand)
- Cross office travel opportunities between San Francisco, Colorado, and Toulouse (France), to learn from our differences
- Company and team off-sites and many other events per quarter, to work & celebrate together
- English language classes, to become fluent as talk like Shakespeare
- We offer relocation assistance when applicable
At Loft, you’ll be given the autonomy and ownership to solve significant challenges, but with a close-knit and supportive team at your back. We believe that diversity and community are the foundation of an open culture. We are committed to hiring the best people regardless of background and make their time at Loft the most fulfilling period of their career.
We value kind, supportive and team-oriented collaborators. It is also crucial for us that you are a problem solver and a great communicator. As our team is international, you will need strong English skills to better collaborate, easily communicate complex ideas and convey important messages.