We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
As part of a diverse and hardworking team of engineers and technicians, you will provide development, verification, and control definition to support New Glenn production You will share in the team’s impact on all aspects of safe and repeatable spaceflight.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Act as technical lead to small team of friction stir welding M&PT Process Engineers
- Provide direct support to production team by performing process development, verification, and control definition on friction stir welding (FSW) processes
- Work in a cross functional environment with design and manufacturing engineering
- Perform proof-of-concept testing for first time operations, including integration simulation
- Support preparation of work centers for production operations and build operations on the manufacturing floor
- Develop and qualify new manufacturing tools, technologies, and processes for FSW processes
- Participate in product development process reviews including production readiness reviews
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a concentration in a relevant engineering discipline (materials, metallurgy, mechanical, aerospace, electrical, etc.)
- A minimum of 10 years of work experience
- Prior experience with FSW processes, metallic fabrication, machining, and/or welding technologies
- Experience with operations support, resolving real-time requests and issues and delivering high quality results
- Experienced in reviewing engineering drawings and specifications to provide insight and interpretation for production and operations personnel
- Extremely customer focused with strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience supporting multiple tasks with competing priorities, delivering results and clearly communicating Risks, Issues and help needed
- A demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with teams of diverse skills across large geographic distances
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- A continuous improvement mindset. Our job is never complete; we are always optimizing
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution with a concentration in a relevant engineering discipline (materials, metallurgy, mechanical, aerospace, electrical, etc.)
- Experience developing process specifications / standards / requirements for new production work
- Knowledge of materials compatibility with Cryogenics, hypergolics, and space environments and familiarity with unique requirements for space systems such as outgassing, flammability, et al
- Knowledge of operational and facility requirements supporting contamination control, corrosion protection, electrical bonding and grounding, environmental controls (e.g., temperature, relative humidity, packaging) imposed throughout a product lifecycle
- Knowledge of testing and physical characterization methods for aerospace materials
- Knowledge of material failure modes and compatibility with materials in space and marine environments
- Experience with Windchill, Gensuite, JIRA, Confluence, AutoCAD, Pro/Engineer, SolidWorks and MATLAB/Simulink
- 5S and Lean Six Sigma experience
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to receive information on Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability and 401(k) with up to 5% company match.
Paid Time Off: Provides up to 4 weeks per year, in addition to 14 holidays